Poplar wood for smoking/cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kjohn

Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
For quite a few years now, I've been using White Poplar sticks exclusively for smoking/cooking. I cut a green tree that is a bit bigger than my thumb, cut it into pieces about 4" long and put a couple or three in the smoke box. I am using a Grill Pro Heavy Duty, but used a Brinkman Smoke-n-Grill for years. DO NOT use Black Poplar, as it will smell like very dirty feet! The extra sticks go in a coffee can and into the freezer, thus ensuring a steady supply of green sticks!! I sometimes split the bigger sticks. Mmmmm. Nothing like a batch of baby pork ribs smoked/cooked with good old White Poplar! Shake a bit of Greek seasoning on, smear on some BBQ sauce of some sort. I also cut up an onion and dump any aging or leftover BBQ sauce in the water tub. I am going to smoke/cook a beef roast tomorrow and make soup with the drippings in the water tub.

I've never heard of using green wood for smoking. Don't you get a creosote build up? How do you keep it lit?

The green sticks go in the little wood tray above the propane burner. I have also used green sticks from our old sweet crab apple tree.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky