Pollo Recipe Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krj

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
So there is this food trailer that is in KC, that pretty much every time I'm up in the city I stop buy and get some of their pollo and grilled jalapenos. I don't know what it is about this chicken, but damn it's so good. It kind of has this yellowish-orangeish charred skin when I get it, and the flavor is great. I'd love to be able to make this at home, because I live south of KC about an hour, but I don't even know where to begin. I've searched pollo recipes on google and while some of them sound like they'd be tasty, none of them have that same look and color as what I get from this trailer.

If you want to see pics of the place I'm getting this from you can search Patron Pollo N Beef out of Olathe. Part of me wishes I'd known about this place when I live up there. I probably would have ate there 3 times a week. My waistband is probably glad I didn't know about it.

Ask them.
Maybe not for the exact recipe, though they might give it.
I've gotten recipes out of people by asking for it one piece at a time.
What is that flavor or spice?
Did you brine or marinate this?
I've also resorted to cash.
"I'll give you twenty bucks for the recipe!"
The owner or manager might not give you the information but some peon might, especially with a little monetary encouragement.

On one of their FB posts (June 9th) they say "Pollo Asados" which when I looked that up uses fresh oranges in the marinade which likely gives the color you mention.

No precise help here, but maybe a clue,when I was in South America, there are Asado stands on every street corner. Seriously starbucks is got nothing on Colombians! They see a street corner, and they say, I could stick a grill there and sell food!

Anyway, a lot of those places would have that yellow color you are talking about, my Spanish was too limited to get an exact answer but I do know that it is from the brine.

I'm not sure how I missed the Asado post on their facebook page. I guess I don't stalk it enough to have seen that. I'll take a look around for some asado recipes and see how it turns out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky