Polish Pickle Soup Keto style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Last year my buddy xray xray posted a pickle soup. I was intrigued by it and had it bookmarked for a future cook. The future is here :) Like many great soups I needed to make a few adjustments to eliminate potatoes and flour based roux. I used Joes recipe and a couple others online as a reference starting point. So first up is replacing the potatoes. 5 cups strong chicken broth ( I used Minors at 1.5x strength) 4 cups cubes Daikon radish, and a half a cup of butter. This will boil until the Daikon is softened.
A1DE8F73-B4A4-4B40-B7BE-31A0FD110A03.jpeg
While the first mixture was boiling I cut up a medium cauliflower and put it in a bowl in the microwave with 1/2 cup water for 24 minutes.
75C93631-C425-4FC6-B6C8-967DD30BF7D4.jpeg
The cooked cauliflower into a bowl with 8 oz cream cheese and 1 cup of sour cream.
918F03CB-20C7-47A1-A1A3-0D203912DE04.jpeg
That mix gets puréed with a stick blender to a perfect creamy finish. (Didn’t capture a pic) Setting that aside I diced and sautéed one medium onion
C120F16E-C4D4-4C16-A4FF-A8B120F7458E.jpeg
Two cups of chopped Polish dill pickles. Reserved 1 1/2 cups of pickle juice.
4C0D2017-8E5C-4494-B89A-E895371AB435.jpeg
I removed the Daikon from the broth with a slotted spoon, poured the creamy mixture in and hit it with the stick blender. Back into thst goes the Daikon along with the pickles and the onion. Added roughly 1.5t Old Bay, 1 t black pepper and a pinch of allspice. At the end I added 1T Splenda to just slightly temper the vinegar. Perfect for my taste then. I also added a little xanthan gum after simmering for around 10 minutes.
FD852E83-7F43-4D45-AB04-824F72AF07E8.jpeg
To stay with the Polish theme and compliment the tangy soup I made some kielbasa and red onion kabobs. The salty smokey sausage was perfect with the soup. Finally I did a quick keto spin on Zapiekanka which is just an open faced sandwich with cheese and mushroom topped with green onion and ketchup. It’s apparently a popular street food in Poland. I used Aunt Millie’s keto hot dog buns for the bread and no sugar added ketchup.
8B094337-A15C-4846-9A6D-519F678AA15B.jpeg
This was a very different and delicious meal off the beaten path. Thanks for looking!

Hey Jeff that soup looks pretty good! Glad you were able to be able to make it to suit your tastes.

I’ve had this in my mind for the past two weeks since it’s getting a bit colder, even told the wife about making it the other day.

Reactions: jcam222
Hey Jeff that soup looks pretty good! Glad you were able to be able to make it to suit your tastes.

I’ve had this in my mind for the past two weeks since it’s getting a bit colder, even told the wife about making it the other day.
My wife thought she’d hate it but has served herself some daily lol. My neighbors are bonkers for it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky