Plywood smoker need racks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

b-sh

Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
after reading the thread by pops and a few of the others here i have decided to build myself a nice plywood smoker.  right now it stand 6.5' tall x 3.5' wide x 3.5' deep.  the problem i ran into is i need racks to make beef jerky, does anyone know where i can get or order racks that will either take up the entire smoker or come as close as possible? or where i could order custom grates?  the ideal would be one or two grates per level.

Thanks.  and i will soon have pictures of this monster.

0d9b5096_2010-11-07_16-27-38_356.jpg
a08117b4_2010-11-17_08-25-31_147.jpg
aa0e136a_2010-11-17_08-25-47_236.jpg

To get custom sizes that big, expanded metal grating might be your best option. Give the edges support with 1x1 angle then slide in on wood cleats ?  Maybe make them half the depth so you can handle them full of food. Two small racks per shelf.

Last edited:
For racks I use stainless steel cooling racks I picked up from a local restaurant supply store for $2/each. I rest them on my dowel rods and it works well. It also allows me to be somewhat flexible with what is going in the smoker.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now Joel has a good answer for you. I would hit the restaurant supply places.

I cheated... pulled the oven racks out of my wife's oven and use those when doing spareribs, lol!  She has STRONGLY suggested I go to an appliance store/repair shop to buy some for my smokehouse.... guess I'd better do that before I need to use them again, hahaha!

spares during the foiling stage of 3 - 2 - 1:

a19691be_007.jpg

cooling... mmmmmmm!

7088af13_014.jpg

another time, doing two pickled chickens and a rack of ribs; this was the night before I had my second stroke!

850abb90_006.jpg

I was thinking about the dowels and racks i will try my local restaurant depot and restaurant stores.  Thanks.  have a great thanksgiving, right now i have 2 turkeys in the smoker.

I sure hope she doesn't make you scrub all the smoke off those racks!!!!

Pretty cool idea using the dowels, makes for a complete and total ability to customize each smoke. Hanging or on racks. I have heard of several guys hanging there ribs but I just don't want to have to pick them up off the bottom when they are done. Just My Opinion tho.

what size are those racks solaryellow?  and are chromed steel shelves safe to smoke on?

They are 12 x 24. My plywood smoker is 28 x 24 so they work pretty well for me. 

Can't help ya on the chromed steel part but I believe I have seen plenty of kettle style grills with what looks to be chromed steel charcoal and cooking grates. 

when I built my wood smokehouse simalar sized to yours I designed it with the intention of using two oven racks side by side on each shelf.  oven racks are pretty standard at approx 16 or 17 inches by 22-24 inches so I made my wood smokehouse 26 in deep by 36 inches wide.  I found all the oven racks I needed at our local dump stranfer station.  all the applainces there are set off in a seperate area and I walked thru and pulled all the racks out of the ovens.  also our local LOWES store here does a promotion where if you a buy any new appliance from them they will take the old one away.  so behind the lowes store there was more ovens that i was able to get the racks from.  I just asked one of the mangers inside and he said "we are just going to have them hauled off for scrap anyway so go ahead"

unfortunatly my wood smoker burned up though.....   I think the wood chips flamed up and caught the whole thing on fire.

dalton

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky