Please, let me re-introduce you to the Fatty Pie! Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forluvofsmoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2008
My original post was lost with the crash
icon_redface.gif
. I felt a bit adventurous today, so, here we go again! Drool Alert (cover your keyboards)....

The ingredients are for 2 pies, made in double layer round cake pans:

THE FILLINGS:

1 red, 1 yellow and 1 orange Bell Pepper, medium size, diced;

1 red and 1 yellow onion, medium size, diced;

Button Mushrooms, pieces & stems, canned, 8 oz drained weight, un-cut, drained well;

Black Olive, canned, 8 oz drained weight, whole;

Mozzerella Cheese, 2#, shreaded;

Pizza Sauce, 8oz jar;

THE CRUST:

Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage, 4#, regular, breakfast style;

This made a finished (un-smoked) weight of 5lb-2oz for the first, 4lb-13 oz for the second pie (just shy of 10lbs total per my taylor scale).

The process is with very well clilled meat. After forming the meat, place back into a cold fridge until the filling prep is completed, and ready for the pie.

After the smoke, let the pies rest uncovered to cool for 20-30 minutes. Then, cut out a test-slice to be sure it is cool enough for cutting. If too, runny, re-position the slice and allow to cool more.

The pan, lined with plastic wrap (a new method for me), and the base meat layer pressed into the pan:
aVj8LWJ.jpg

The cover meat pressed-out and ready to lay-down:
aVj9yPA.jpg

The filling is in, and the cover is laying-down:
PqxEmtJ.jpg

Pie is covered, GOSM smoker grate placed on top, ready for the flip:
aVjajdi.jpg

The pie flipped over on the grate, and ready for the pan-pull:
aVjaFFA.jpg

Pan is pulled revealing the poly wrap:
PqxFKMJ.jpg

Un-wrapped and ready for some Mesquite smoke @ 225-250*:
aVjbb5r.jpg

No, you don't have double-vision! LOL!!! Just into the thin blue:
aVjbl40.jpg

aVjbq3i.jpg

After a little over 1 hour, time for a probe, and start watching the progress!:
aVjbxxJ.jpg

Oops...got alittle out of sequence here...

The Veggies for the filling:
PqxBynA.jpg

Cheese, and Sauce already on the heap:
aVj8kv9.jpg

Filling is mixed and ready:

I have 54 ABTs and a Hot & Spicy Beef Salami in the SNP with Hickory. I'll post more on the smoke and the finally when I get more pics.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric

HO-----LY COW! That is impressive, and I bet it was fantastic. I can see in one of the pics that it is about to sink into the grate it weighed so much. Even the name is fun....FATTIE PIE!

points.gif

OH MY GOD. It's fattie magic. What a great idea
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif

That looks really good and tastey. I have fork and will travel

The first one came out about 15 minutes ahead of the one on the top rack...work out perfect for timing on cooling, slicing and eating.

An hour or so before pulling:
PqxVFv9.jpg

Temps on internals...pulled them @170*...carryover took them to about 173-174*:
PqxW8qS.jpg

This is a thin-crust here...but no leakage out the bottom or seams...the first slice after cooling to 149* internal...nice and firm:

I would'nt change a thing with these pizza pies. They turned out better than any pie I've done so far:
aVjqlq9.jpg

Would anyone like a plate?:
aVjqWQi.jpg

aVjrpM0.jpg

These turned out great! The peppers and onion were just a bit crisp/crunchy, like they would be on a regular pizza...and the cheese, remember that these were 5lbs (2 of meat) so the filling was 1/3 cheese. I gotta do these again REALLY SOON!!!!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed the show!

Good smokin' to all!!!!!

Thanks to everyone!

Eric

Good job Eric. Thanks for the Qview. They look great.

Great looking fattie pie! I could almost taste it.
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

Amazing The first time i've ever seen such a monster. Cannot wait till the finishing pics. I bet it will be YEMM O
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif

My my, a FATTY pie. Regardless of what the doc says, that's a mighty tasty treat you've got going on. Congrats my friend.

Quite the heart stopper you have there! Thanks for the Qview, job well done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky