Playing while I am Waiting on turkey brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokintn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
Bethpage Tennessee
I have three turkey in brine to do my first meat run on the new smoker. So I decided to play with some cheeses. I've done a lot of cheese research and tried Gouda yesterday cold smoked for 4 hours with self harvested peach wood chips. Ambient temp of 65 degrees and internal temp of 65.8 degrees. I made the mistake of running full smoke and although it was definitely edible and was eaten pretty fast by the family on ritz bacon flavored crackers there was a hint of creasote flavor.
Mostly everything I've read says it needs to mellow. Although I have read that a lighter smoke concentration over longer time will yield a cleaner flavor and eliminate the creasote flavor contamination.
This am I dropped in a 3yr old sharp cheddar cut into butter stick sized pieces along with a 1/4 lb of unsalted butter as a reference and a taste tester. I'm using hickory today as to compliment the stronger cheddar flavor. The ambient temp is 59 degrees and the humidity is 75% I am running my smoke generator at half throttle. Fingers crossed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky