Planning to buy my first pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoveMyBGE

Original poster
I am building a new home in CO (moving from So. CA) and I want to get a pellet smoker/grill. I have a Big Green Egg that I love and will be bringing this to my new home. I am not planning to install a gas grill, as I rarely use the one I have now. If I don't use the Egg to grill a steak or chop, I can start it in the pellet and reverse sear on a cast iron skillet or griddle.

I have never had a pellet smoker, but I have some experience with my son-in-law (who is already in CO) and he has been using a Traeger for years and loves it. I have tasted his results and it has been excellent. I'm just not sold on Traeger. And, since their patents lapsed there are now so many options I have been evaluating several options. The MAC units look really good, but they are VERY pricey. Right now, I am leaning very hard toward the Yoder 640. This looks like a very well built unit. And, it supposedly can also get up to 700 degrees, which would definitely be in the sear zone, if needed.

I would love to hear from people on this forum that are using Yoder smokers. I would also love to hear from people using other pellet smoker/grills.

Thanks.

I am building a new home in CO (moving from So. CA) and I want to get a pellet smoker/grill. I have a Big Green Egg that I love and will be bringing this to my new home. I am not planning to install a gas grill, as I rarely use the one I have now. If I don't use the Egg to grill a steak or chop, I can start it in the pellet and reverse sear on a cast iron skillet or griddle.

I have never had a pellet smoker, but I have some experience with my son-in-law (who is already in CO) and he has been using a Traeger for years and loves it. I have tasted his results and it has been excellent. I'm just not sold on Traeger. And, since their patents lapsed there are now so many options I have been evaluating several options. The MAC units look really good, but they are VERY pricey. Right now, I am leaning very hard toward the Yoder 640. This looks like a very well built unit. And, it supposedly can also get up to 700 degrees, which would definitely be in the sear zone, if needed.

I would love to hear from people on this forum that are using Yoder smokers. I would also love to hear from people using other pellet smoker/grills.

Thanks.
Yoder obviously makes great grills. RecTeq won’t disappoint in quality or CS I can assure you. Good luck

Yoder ys640 w/comp cart.

This rig is a beast for the average Q guy. It’ll give you the set it and forget it ability pellet grill owners want and it’ll sear meat at high temps. I’ve heard the customer secure is great but haven’t needed it myself.

The Yoder 640 is a nice unit! Just know that that it requires maintenance, ie bare steel innards.....this isn’t a bad thing just something you need to take care of like a cast iron pan.

I just got a recteq 1250 and it is very nice! It won me over the Yoder because of the cost shipped to the door. It’s not a searing grill so if you want that the Yoder will do better!

My Yoder has required zero maintenance, except for the upgraded control unit that I put in. I have the 640 with comp cart for 5 yrs and love it. Things a tank and I use it year round in Central Illinois. Happy to answer any questions that you might have.

I'll chime in on the Yoder side. I have have zero problems with mine in 3 years. It does sear fairly well although I don't use it for that very often. In the cold winters there it would hold temp better and use less fuel

Rec Teq here. Love it, no issues, great company. in my exhaustive research the top three were: rec Teq, Yoder and MAC. MAC was priced too high for my budget, Yoder is a beast but two things deterred me 1. weight 335 lbs and 2. cost. I am sure they are very good. But I feel like I got everything I wanted at a better price with Rec Teq.

Lone Star Grillz pellet smokers are pricey but smoke like a beast and are built like tanks. Good luck. 👍

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky