1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Planked Potatoes

Discussion in 'Side Items' started by Brian Trommater, Oct 12, 2019 at 3:37 PM.

1. I want to try plank potatoes. The weber recipe says put on plank and cook indirect. Shouldn't you at least put plank on heat first to get smoking?

2. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I would not think there is any need for the plank itself to smoke. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the question.

3. Just thinking without some smoke coming from the plank would not get much flavor from it.

4. jcam222

Could be. Is always thought the flavor maybe came from oils in and being released by the wood. You will always have the smoke of your grill or smoker as well.

5. jcam222

Brian Trommater likes this.
  6. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Best (and only :-)) planked potatoes i had were mashed. Cooked the day before.

Grilled some thick tenderloin steaks on one side only. Cool. Set the steaks grilled side up on the soaked cedar plank. Mold mashed potatoes around each steak in a truncated cone shape. Set on the grill or smoker with indirect heat.

7. Jabiru

Jabiru Meat Mopper

Not sure about potatoes but with planked Salmon, I always get the char/smoke going on the plank then put my fish on it, indirect.

Once the plank is smoking it gives an awesome flavour.