Planked Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I want to try plank potatoes. The weber recipe says put on plank and cook indirect. Shouldn't you at least put plank on heat first to get smoking?

I would not think there is any need for the plank itself to smoke. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the question.

Could be. Is always thought the flavor maybe came from oils in and being released by the wood. You will always have the smoke of your grill or smoker as well.

Best (and only :-)) planked potatoes i had were mashed. Cooked the day before.

Grilled some thick tenderloin steaks on one side only. Cool. Set the steaks grilled side up on the soaked cedar plank. Mold mashed potatoes around each steak in a truncated cone shape. Set on the grill or smoker with indirect heat.

Not sure about potatoes but with planked Salmon, I always get the char/smoke going on the plank then put my fish on it, indirect.

Once the plank is smoking it gives an awesome flavour.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky