Pitts & Spitts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SparkyLB

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 30, 2018
Looking into getting the Pitts & Spitts Maverick 850. Problem is, I had a question about shipping. It says "free shipping" LTL (whatever that means) on their site, but when I call, I get voicemail. It's not that I don't want to leave a message, but like other things in life, if they don't pick up the phone for sales, what would happen if I had to have an issue resolved?

Anyone know what "free shipping LTL" means, and furthermore, anyone have any experience with the Pitts & Spitts Maverick 850?

Beforehand I was considering the Rec Tec 590 or maybe a 680, but I like to support American products whenever I can.

LTL is "less than truckload" shipping. Meaning it will be shipped via a semi to your door.

I have a local Pitts & Spitts dealer in my area who I buy Lumberjack pellets from. I bought a RecTec 680 2 years ago. The Pitts & Spitts was more than I wanted to spend but it's definitely a nice unit.

The 680 is discontinued and has been replaced by the Bull.

Thanks for that, Mopper. I realize that it's probably a mom and pop store, and I'm fine with that, but my inability to reach a human being is worrisome. I'd like to know if they have one in stock, for starters, ship time, etc.

I was able to get a person on the phone today around 1pm local their local time. Got some questions answered. Lead time for an 850 is about a month I'm told. Shipping is free. Probably going to pull the trigger down the line sometime.

Thanks for the information, all!

Pulled the trigger with the wife's consent a few days ago. I bought the Maverick 850. Ryan from customer service tells me it's got a lead-time of 3-4 weeks; which should drop it at my door between July 6th and July 13th.

I'm very excited. I didn't opt for any add-on's. The two most popular are the trap door for direct sear above the firebox, and the "all stainless" version. I'll use my Visions grill for searing/steaks. That unit reaches damn near 1,000 degrees with the dampers open. As for the all stainless, sure it would be nice, but it brings a $1,750 unit to more than 3K. No thanks. Meat probes and PID built into a 1/4" thick barrel is good enough for me. I happen to work at a nuclear facility, and we have some pretty space-age insulation means on hand. The insulation shop can take some material and sew it into a cover that will survive an atom bomb, and last forever.

I'm stoked. I'll make some videos and snap some pics for your pic-hungry folks out there.

Life is good right now. :)

Reactions: tjmitche
whoops. . sorry, double post.

Last edited:
Latest update, "the steel is cut." Mid-July. Stoked. :)

July 13. I am a petulant child. I grow impatient. I'm ready to go to Sonny's barbecue and get a pulled pork sandwich just in spite of Pitts & Spitts. J/K. I continue to wait. But I grow weary. :) LOL

Reactions: tjmitche
Can't wait to see this thing! I'm sure the waiting is a pain, but man that que is gonna be sweet!

I'm counting on it. (Being sweet, that is). Yes, the waiting is the hardest part. Every day you see one more card. . .. . :)

This is NOT a diss on Pitts & Spitts in any way, but was told 3 to 4 weeks, and we're sitting a bit after 5. No big deal. . . In my last email, he said that he wasn't able to get it onto an LTL line Fri. the 20th, but we're scheduled for shipment on Monday the 23rd. If I told you I'm patient and could wait as long as it took, I'd be lying through my teeth!!!!!!

Make it stop!!!!!!!

OK. Got a tracking number today. It's on the dock at Houston. Should have it by Wednesday or Thursday. I have renewed optimism. :)

In Orlando, that's 2.5 hrs away! It left yesterday at about 4:40pm. Am I being too excited? OK. I'm gonna sit on my hands.

Nope, that didn't work.

Was that the phone? Nope. I'll wait. I'M WAITING!! LOL

Sparky I bet you had a hard time waiting for Christmas :D
I like your excitement as you wait for the arrival. I’ll be waiting for the pics and the food.

Hey Sparky, new to this site and saw your post so joined to chime in.
Been looking for a pellet smoker myself and almost bought a GMG but after I got to check out the Maverick 850 before purchasing I had to go with it over the other brands.
Going on week 3 now and jonesing to get it.
It’s a very built pellet smoker.

Sparky Did you get the smoker? I have an 850 as well. Let me know if you have any questions. I actually bought one of the first pellets P&S every made when they were playing around with turning some of their stick burners to pellet smokers. Ryan is their owner too, great guy, really turned around that shop.

Sorry folks. Yes, I got the smoker Friday the 27th. I had to go away to Michigan for a week the day after. When I returned, I made a smoked butt. It was outstanding. My wife and I have been eating it since the 5th. Sorry no pics yet, but I'll take care of that shortly. Everything you might have heard about this grill is true. It's built like a B52 bomber carrying 4 tanks in its belly.

Winmod94, you're gonna love it. Didn't stray from 225F for about 9 hours.

Speaking of belly, in 5 days I'll be rinsing off, then rack drying my first shot at bacon.

There will be pics of that, too.

Got mine last Thursday and done four cooks on it.
I also have the trap door pan and going to break that in tomorrow evening.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky