1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pitts & Spitts

Discussion in 'Pellet Smokers' started by SparkyLB, Jun 2, 2018.

1. SparkyLB

SparkyLB Newbie

Looking into getting the Pitts & Spitts Maverick 850. Problem is, I had a question about shipping. It says "free shipping" LTL (whatever that means) on their site, but when I call, I get voicemail. It's not that I don't want to leave a message, but like other things in life, if they don't pick up the phone for sales, what would happen if I had to have an issue resolved?

Anyone know what "free shipping LTL" means, and furthermore, anyone have any experience with the Pitts & Spitts Maverick 850?

Beforehand I was considering the Rec Tec 590 or maybe a 680, but I like to support American products whenever I can.

2. ross77

ross77 Meat Mopper

LTL is "less than truckload" shipping. Meaning it will be shipped via a semi to your door.

I have a local Pitts & Spitts dealer in my area who I buy Lumberjack pellets from. I bought a RecTec 680 2 years ago. The Pitts & Spitts was more than I wanted to spend but it's definitely a nice unit.

The 680 is discontinued and has been replaced by the Bull.

3. SparkyLB

SparkyLB Newbie

Thanks for that, Mopper. I realize that it's probably a mom and pop store, and I'm fine with that, but my inability to reach a human being is worrisome. I'd like to know if they have one in stock, for starters, ship time, etc.

4. SparkyLB

SparkyLB Newbie

I was able to get a person on the phone today around 1pm local their local time. Got some questions answered. Lead time for an 850 is about a month I'm told. Shipping is free. Probably going to pull the trigger down the line sometime.

Thanks for the information, all!

5. SparkyLB

SparkyLB Newbie

Pulled the trigger with the wife's consent a few days ago. I bought the Maverick 850. Ryan from customer service tells me it's got a lead-time of 3-4 weeks; which should drop it at my door between July 6th and July 13th.

I'm very excited. I didn't opt for any add-on's. The two most popular are the trap door for direct sear above the firebox, and the "all stainless" version. I'll use my Visions grill for searing/steaks. That unit reaches damn near 1,000 degrees with the dampers open. As for the all stainless, sure it would be nice, but it brings a $1,750 unit to more than 3K. No thanks. Meat probes and PID built into a 1/4" thick barrel is good enough for me. I happen to work at a nuclear facility, and we have some pretty space-age insulation means on hand. The insulation shop can take some material and sew it into a cover that will survive an atom bomb, and last forever.

I'm stoked. I'll make some videos and snap some pics for your pic-hungry folks out there.

Life is good right now. :)

tjmitche likes this.
  6. ross77

ross77 Meat Mopper

Nice. In curious to see one in action. Haven’t heard much about them.

7. SparkyLB

SparkyLB Newbie

whoops. . sorry, double post.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  8. SparkyLB

SparkyLB Newbie

Latest update, "the steel is cut." Mid-July. Stoked. :)

9. SparkyLB

SparkyLB Newbie

July 13. I am a petulant child. I grow impatient. I'm ready to go to Sonny's barbecue and get a pulled pork sandwich just in spite of Pitts & Spitts. J/K. I continue to wait. But I grow weary. :) LOL

tjmitche likes this.
  10. Can't wait to see this thing! I'm sure the waiting is a pain, but man that que is gonna be sweet!

11. SparkyLB

SparkyLB Newbie

I'm counting on it. (Being sweet, that is). Yes, the waiting is the hardest part. Every day you see one more card. . .. . :)