Pitmasters Finale Tonight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdt

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Des Moines
Got two hometown boys/iowa bbq society members in the finals tonight, Shad is a nice enough guy, his bbq joints(Smokey Ds) is one of the few places around here I will spend my money but I would much rather see Moe win, he is a really cool guy. I used to sell him auto parts in the 90s, he had a very nice 65/6ish pontiac tempest.

I quit watching after the second episode but I wish them all good luck but after just seeing the two episodes I'd have to wish Moe the most luck
biggrin.gif

Yea I'm one of the few that actually likes the new format. I think Warren sap is a great addition. I hear a lot of people complaining about competition BBQ and judging and then they complain when someone judges who just likes to eat MAKE UP YOU'RE MINDS!

I think that most people complained about the goofy elimination competitions.  Not knowing how to fry catfish maybe shouldn't disqualify you from having your brisket judged.   Warren Sap knows how to eat but I think his comments are based strictly on his personal preference and not on some type of agreed to judging criteria. 

Yea I'm one of the few that actually likes the new format. I think Warren sap is a great addition. I hear a lot of people complaining about competition BBQ and judging and then they complain when someone judges who just likes to eat MAKE UP YOU'RE MINDS!
I am at a loss for words.

I too like the new format. I like the idea of a BBQ competition paying 100K. So what if they have to jump through some silly hoops. It would be an even better show if Myron wasn't on it. However, I heard he's the Executive Producer?!?! I searched on TLC's website, IMDB, and wikipedia. I can't confirm it. Does anyone know. I guess I can watch the credits tonight.

If you can't cook chicken how can you do a whole hog???

And The Winner Is:  Shad Kirton A Boy And His BBQ...

Last edited:
Nice finally. I love that it ended with a whole hog. On a block smoker no less. Cowgirl could jump right in the middle of that! Thanks to her I've had a little practice at whole hogs on a block smoker too. I love doing it. Here's this years attempt: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/fo...th-annual-whole-hog-roast-with-lots-of-q-view

Oh... and I watched the credits. Myron isn't listed anywhere other than as a judge. My concern with him being a producer would mean that he would be hard to get rid of. Since he's just a judge... I say fire him. He could be replaced by a vegetarian and it would be a better show! Still... I hope there is a season 3. I liked it.

This was my first year watching and I was definitely happy to see Shad win it all!  I was pulling for Shad or Moe.  Gave me a little more confidence in the integrity of the show when Johnny Trigg didn't win.  I was a little surprised when he was one of the chicken challenge winners.    

This was my first year watching and I was definitely happy to see Shad win it all!  I was pulling for Shad or Moe.  Gave me a little more confidence in the integrity of the show when Johnny Trigg didn't win.  I was a little surprised when he was one of the chicken challenge winners.    
I had the same thought. In fact, in LeeAnn's episode, when it first came on, I figured it was a rigged deal and she would make it to the end for sure. When she got cut... I thought well... okay, maybe it's on the up and up. However, last night I thought they would give it Johnny for sure. Then when it came down to Shad and the current world champ whole hog winner... I thought she had it for sure. Overall, I think the show was very well done. I sure hope there is a season 3.

I wouldn't have thought of it either. That's a bummer.

Most of the episodes this season sucked, I thought the finally was pretty good.  They actually spent some time and talked about cooking.  I know that is the only reason I watch it.  I want to learn something and most of the shows they don't even attempt to give you and How To stuff.  But I learned stuff last night.  Although the wife wasn't real thrilled when I wouldn't change the channel.

I gave up watching the show this season. However I watched last night because I love smoking whole hogs on cinderblock pits - it's done all the time in Puerto Rico (where I'm from) and all around the Carribean.

But I hated that TLC took this show and went the way of  typical "reality tv" competition. I enjoyed following the pros around at the different competitions all season long, then gathered them together for a "smoke-off" for the finale. Why'd they get away from that format?!?!?! That's what made the show so popular! Each season

And please.....enough Myron Mixon already. I think we ALL got the idea that he's a 3 - time "world" champ. (Has he ever competed outside the US?)Let's feature someone else who isn't so arrogant and irritating next season, ok?

I enjoyed the show... Would have liked to see all of the pigs finished.
biggrin.gif

Happy with the winner..thought he did a fine job.

Which team was your friends?
Big Poppa Smokers... Big Poppa is a friend... a really great guy.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
   His real name is Sterling Ball and he owns the Ernie Ball company  http://www.ernieball.com/   also makes some danged fine guitars. http://www.music-man.com/     His team members are all employees at the Ernie Ball company. They have been doing great on the competition circuit.
biggrin.gif

Here's Sterling's Smokin' site .... http://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/   I hang out in the grilling gallery there.. lol

I know Diva Q and Big Mista from another forum. 

They all said it was a lot of fun..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky