Pitmaker Safe...Cooking Multiple Cuts Of Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

levithan9

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Houston, Tx
I was able to get a good deal on a Pitmaker insulated Safe late last year. I've been smoking on it almost every weekend that I find myself doing nothing and the weather permitting.

I've gotten my brisket down, and my ribs. Pork is pretty damn easy, so i wouldn't say that i needed to learn to cook it on this smoker.

HOWEVER.....

This past weekend, i did a brisket and a pork shoulder. I had the brisket on the 3rd shelf (Pitmaker Safe has 4 shelfs, and i count from the bottom to top) and the pork on the 2nd shelf.
I put a large aluminum pan on the bottom, under shelf #1, to add water for moisture and to catch the drippings. I made the mistake when i first got the Safe to just throw water in the lower area, and cleaning it was something i DON'T WANT TO DO AGAIN !!

While my brisket got the color that i wanted, when i removed the shelf to pull it out and wrap in butcher paper, i saw that the pork shoulder had a rather off-looking color to it. No bark formation, and in my opinion, it looked like it was sick. It was kinda pale looking.

Am i missing something here? Did i add too much water (about 1 gallon, which was evaporated off within 3 hours) in which case their was TOO much moisture in the cooking chamber?

My next step is to smoke 2-4 briskets at one time, and see how they come out. I'm kinda wanting to do a side gig, as lot of people want my bbq. But making 1 meat at a time just isn't cutting it.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Oh, and i usually set the temp between 250 up to 285. I dont like going over 300.

Thanks

I think part of your problem might have been juices from the brisket dripping onto the pork directly underneath it (if I understand correctly). I would put a pan under the brisket to collect the drippings.

Reactions: jokensmoken
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky