Pitboss charcoal pizza oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmokist

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Lafayette IN
20200925_144458.jpg
I came across the pitboss pizza oven a couple years ago for next to nothin so I picked it up and thought it would be a fun new toy! It sat in the garage for awhile and I decided to put it together and make some pizza. I did the burn off and then the next day lit it up again and made some pizza. The unit isnt insulated at all and was struggling to hold 400⁰ amd mad a crappy pizza. I was pretty disappointed so I just set it aside and life came along amd I hadn't messed with again till just recently.
I figured there has to be someone out there that has one and modified it to work but I found very little so I went and picked up some firebricks to put on the inside for insulation! I just insulated the cook area and not the bottom where the charcoal box is, not yet anyway.
20200926_095804.jpg

I put the bricks all the way around the cook area and under the metal panels in the top that come off and then 2 between the charcoal and pizza stone as a buffer. Man let me tell you I put some small chunks off wood and lump charcoal in it, lit it and let everything absorb the heat and it was holding 550⁰-600⁰ and the stone was 450⁰ for a solid hour and half! I just used a frozen pizza for test purposes and it came out perfect in about 8 minutes. I just finished my deck and this is gonna be a nice addition to my little outdoor kitchen!
Anyway I hope this is useful to someone that bought this unit and is searching for some info on it like I was. I plan on doing some scratch made pies in the next couple days and I'll post up some pics.

Attachments

• 20200924_170520.jpg
    20200924_170520.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 64
That is one fine looking pizza oven!
I would be proud to have that on my backyard patio!
Nice score & mods!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky