Pit Boss Sportsman Portable (PB260PSP2)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

somburan

Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
Hello - New member here but not new to grilling/smoking. I've used Weber Smokey Mountain for couple years so far and just bought my first Pellet grill (Pit Boss Sportsman Portable - Or the Pit Stop from Walmart).
I've looked into a smaller pellet grill and almost pull the trigger on GMG Davy Crocket. But at the end switched to this PB since it will suite me better with 90% home use and 10% camping. (the GMG DC is too low on the ground).

I've also searched this forum (and other place) for more review on the model but couldn't find any. So look like I'll be a guinea pig for the gang on this one. :)

One more reason I picked PB is because of the reputation on direct flame. But so far it didn't impress me that much. I had a hard time reverse-seared a piece of ribeye last week. May be it's too cold (40F~) for the grill but I'd expect it to do better. Also since it's my first pellet I don't have any reference on what to expect either. So far I've done steak (reverse sear), grilled chicken legs, and baby back rib on it. The steak and grilled chicken are OK with the hope that it can sear better in summer. But the rib was pretty good. Temp control was quite stable @ 225F (+/- 10F) through out the entire 5 hours so I'll probably keep the grill at the moment.

Any other owner of the same model in the group? Please kindly share your experience too.

Happy Smoking!!

I have an austin xl and love it. 3 years old with hundreds of cooks on it an no issues yet. Except a heat rod. That's expected though from time to time. Customer service is great and overnighted me one under warranty.
IMG_20201221_174258.jpg

Crank it up to 400 and open the slide. Give it 4-5 minutes to dump some pellets and sear away!

Thank you Mike. I couldn't get the flare up like in your photo on my grill even with highest heat & sear slit opened. But it might be because of the ambience temp. Will give it a try on a warmer day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky