Pit Boss/Smoke Daddy FUBAR

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Airsick

Original poster
May 20, 2020
Odessa Fl
I was unhappy with the 20 degree temp swings on my Pit Boss Pro, so I installed a Smoke Daddy PID controller, fan, and auger, but the setup ran 30 degrees hot with the expensive new parts! I called Dan and Dennis for help and wound up sending it back for "re-programming." After installing the new and improved unit today, I tried smoking salmon. I wanted to start low, so I set the controller to 160. It climbed up to 187 and wouldn't come down. I wound up cramming a welding glove under the cover to release some heat and got the temps to within 13 degrees of setpoint, but still hot. Has anyone else had problems such as this? I wanted a Savannah controller, but no one had them.

That really sucks spending that kind of money and not getting the results you were after. Is there a chance to return and maybe buy the Savannah Stoker? I’ve got the version 4.5 and it is a game changer!

I'm not familiar with that controller ,is there any way to adjust the feed duration manually? not sure why the other parts had to be changed besides the control board, most of this stuff works the same from what I read . hope you get it worked out, my Masterbuilt electric is the only thing I own that will do lower than 180 without any problems

I'm not familiar with that controller ,is there any way to adjust the feed duration manually? not sure why the other parts had to be changed besides the control board, most of this stuff works the same from what I read . hope you get it worked out, my Masterbuilt electric is the only thing I own that will do lower than 180 without any problems
I might try making a restrictor plate in the hopper to allow fewer pellets into the auger feed chute.

That really sucks spending that kind of money and not getting the results you were after. Is there a chance to return and maybe buy the Savannah Stoker? I’ve got the version 4.5 and it is a game changer!
I'd love to but no one had them a month ago when I bought the Smoke Daddy.

What thermometer(s) are you using to check temp? Where are they placed, and how long has the unit been running when checking temps?

Not sure about your smoker style but If your smoker has the thin metal heat shield that sits on the bottom of the smoker try taking that out. My pitboss 1000 was running hot and pitboss told me to take that out that it's basically there for cold weather smoking. Definitely worked for me

What thermometer(s) are you using to check temp? Where are they placed, and how long has the unit been running when checking temps?
I put the meat probe just above the grate and compared it to the RTD that is along the vertical hopper side wall. They both read very close.

Not sure about your smoker style but If your smoker has the thin metal heat shield that sits on the bottom of the smoker try taking that out. My pitboss 1000 was running hot and pitboss told me to take that out that it's basically there for cold weather smoking. Definitely worked for me
Mine is the 820. I'll look for what you describe. You don't mean the curved shield above the flame do you?

I was unhappy with the 20 degree temp swings on my Pit Boss Pro, so I installed a Smoke Daddy PID controller, fan, and auger, but the setup ran 30 degrees hot with the expensive new parts! I called Dan and Dennis for help and wound up sending it back for "re-programming." After installing the new and improved unit today, I tried smoking salmon. I wanted to start low, so I set the controller to 160. It climbed up to 187 and wouldn't come down. I wound up cramming a welding glove under the cover to release some heat and got the temps to within 13 degrees of setpoint, but still hot. Has anyone else had problems such as this? I wanted a Savannah controller, but no one had them.

I did a similar upgrade to my PB Austin XL last year. I bought the SD PID Controller/Pellet Hopper combo and the SD Magnum PIG Cold Smoke Canister. If you’re still using the stock PB heat diffuser, which does not actually cover the burn pot, you’ll have a very hard time getting your grills temps dialed in. Your grill needs a traditional 10g steel heat diffuser that actually covers the burn pot to have solid temp control. The stock PB heat diffuser that sits at the bottom of your grill allows for direct grilling and searing... This is by design. The Flame broiler and the flame broiler slider in your PB grill is actually the heat diffuser, but it can’t diffuse/tame the heat like a traditional heat diffuser can. If you’re hoping for temp control within 5*-10* degrees in your PB 820, then you’ll need to use a traditional 10g steel heat diffuser that covers the burn pot in your grill. Good luck.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I did a similar upgrade to my PB Austin XL last year. I bought the SD PID Controller/Pellet Hopper combo and the SD Magnum PIG Cold Smoke Canister. If you’re still using the stock PB heat diffuser, which does not actually cover the burn pot, you’ll have a very hard time getting your grills temps dialed in. Your grill needs a traditional 10g steel heat diffuser that actually covers the burn pot to have solid temp control. The stock PB heat diffuser that sits at the bottom of your grill allows for direct grilling and searing... This is by design. The Flame broiler and the flame broiler slider in your PB grill is actually the heat diffuser, but it can’t diffuse/tame the heat like a traditional heat diffuser can. If you’re hoping for temp control within 5*-10* degrees in your PB 820, then you’ll need to use a traditional 10g steel heat diffuser that covers the burn pot in your grill. Good luck.

That's what Smoke Daddy now says. My question is why didn't they tell me that when I ordered the controller? I told them the exact model of grill I had. Anyway, where do I find a thicker heat diffuser?

Just search for pellet grill heat diffusers. They're pretty much universal. Doesn't need to be ultra heavy duty 10ga or anything. The heavy gauge metal just doesn't warp as easily. You could DIY one pretty easily too.

That's what Smoke Daddy now says. My question is why didn't they tell me that when I ordered the controller? I told them the exact model of grill I had. Anyway, where do I find a thicker heat diffuser?
Here’s the link to SD’s 10g heat diffuser.. The price is not bad at all. https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/oem-replacment-heat-diffuser-heavy-duty-10-gauge/

You can go cheaper elsewhere, but warped heat diffusers look crazy to me. Here’s a link to the thread on my upgrades to my PB Austin XL. Not trying to High jack your thread... There’s some great information on the mods I did to the heat diffuser in my Pellet Pro Austin XL on the last pages. It’s a long read, but there’s some great info. Good luck. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...t-pro-pid-upgrade-for-my-pb-austin-xl.291288/

An old cast iron fry pan may work too. If it fits right side up, you could consider throwing some chips in there as well.
I tried the frypan but must have done it wrong. I put it right over the burner and it sent all the smoke back to the pellet hopper. This Pit Boss/Smoke Daddy has been an expensive frustrating experience. My advise to ANYONE who wants precision control is NOT to try to save a little money with a Pit Boss. I especially would warn against retrofiting the Smoke Daddy PID controller. Spend the money for a smoker that has PID as standard equipment.

In a year or so basically all pellet grills will be PID controlled. Pit Boss is a budget brand and lags behind, but the Platinum line at Walmart has it. Only a matter of time now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky