Pit Boss setup question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

B_R_Brian

Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I just purchased a Pit Boss 700s and am planning my first cook with it this weekend. I do have a question: do other users cover the grease shield/diffuser with foil? I know that would prevent me from using the 'slider' for direct heat but it seems like it would make cleanup much easier! Guidance from experienced users would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

I have another brand pellet grill that I'm repairing for my daughter to use, but yes, covering the grease diverter with foil will go a long way towards keeping the grill clean. You can run it without foil, but cleanup will be much harder. Also you can always tear/cut the foil for an opening for the slider to work.

Reactions: RCAlan
Also, get into a habit of always preheating Your PB Grill.. Never just “Set it and Forget it”...
Doing so will help keep Your grills temps more stable.
Page 19 of Your Owners Manual...
Pre-Heating
It is extremely important to ALWAYS allow your grill to preheat before cooking. This allows the grill and cooking grids to heat up quicker and the grill is able to maintain its cooking temperature once your food is placed in the cooking area. If you do not allow the grill to preheat, you will find that it takes a longer period of time to bring both the grill and the food to cooking temperatures.
Always pre-heat your “Pit Boss” Grill with the lid closed. ONLY after your Grill has ignited, close the lid and set your temperature control knob to HIGH for 10-15 minutes depending on weather. This gives you enough time to prepare your food for the grill; as well it is the final step in cleaning your cooking grids.
Lid Position
Always cook with the lid closed. Not only does this keep the temperature even, the food will cook faster, using less fuel. A closed lid also helps to create a smokier flavour. You can slow down your cooking by propping up the lid.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You must OPEN the lid during both the “Start-Up” and “Shut Down” cycles. End quote... Also, clean/vacuum the ash out of the burn pot after every use to help prevent flameouts.. I hope the extra tips help and enjoy your grill.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I have a pitboss 1000, I don't foil. I usually pull my heat shields off every 3-4 cooks and just scrape with a scraper. but foil would probably make for a easier clean up. also when i'm shutting it off I keep lid closed and turn off and wait for fans to stop. i'm guessing that way all your pellets are burned up so they don't ignite the pellets in the auger then the hopper. maybe i'm wrong but that's what I do.

Nope. I let the grease flow down and across the plate. Once in awhile I scrape the worst of the crud off, but leaving it there adds to the overall flavour of your cook.

Mark

Thanks for the tips guys. Doing the burn in now - this is my first experience with a pellet grill and I’m sure I will have LOTS more questions, but for now have just one: I know I need to empty the hopper after each use, but what about the pellets in the auger tube?

i don't empty my hopper. unless your only going to use it every once in a while I wouldn't worry about. if your leaving it out in the weather then I might also empty it. I usually empty mine every 4-5 bags of pellets just to vacuum out the dust.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky