Pit boss pro series 820

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stemy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Ohio
Do anyone have the pit boss pro series 820 smoker/grill? Was wondering if it was worth the money and if it cooks goods.

I have been running my Austin for 2 years and really like it, the lowe's version of mine has a front shelf and a couple more pounds of pellet capacity, I would think this would a upgrade from the 1 Walmart sells , probably the same guts just some nice add on features.

I had been in the habit of smoking manual. Recently planned for a rather large party and my neighbor let me borrow his Pitt Boss. Having tasted his meat in the past, I figured how bad could it be? I'd get some sleep.

Mistake was on me for trying a different grill for the first time the morning of a party. I was hoping that after setting everything up at 4am, I'd be able to get some sleep. I preheated, set the thing for 225, put the butts in and set a few probes around the unit.

Temp was fluctuating wildly throughout the cook. Sometimes up to some alarming temps well over 300F. It made me so nervous, I was up babysitting the thing the whole time. Before anyone else says the therm. or ash pot was dirty, no I had cleaned the thing beforehand.

It wasn't producing consistent smoke either and I ended up having to supplement with a tube full of pellets.

Long story short, temperature fluctuated so much that the food was done 2hours early! There was a lot I didn't like about how the butts turned out, but it wasn't terrible. I'd never buy a Pitt Boss. After some research, I just got a Masterbuilt for those times I want to "set it and forget it." It hasn't arrived yet, hopefully it's what I have been reading about.

I have an Austin xl and has performed flawlessly. Over 400 cooks. My brother has the 820 pro and really likes it

I had been in the habit of smoking manual. Recently planned for a rather large party and my neighbor let me borrow his Pitt Boss. Having tasted his meat in the past, I figured how bad could it be? I'd get some sleep.

Mistake was on me for trying a different grill for the first time the morning of a party. I was hoping that after setting everything up at 4am, I'd be able to get some sleep. I preheated, set the thing for 225, put the butts in and set a few probes around the unit.

Temp was fluctuating wildly throughout the cook. Sometimes up to some alarming temps well over 300F. It made me so nervous, I was up babysitting the thing the whole time. Before anyone else says the therm. or ash pot was dirty, no I had cleaned the thing beforehand.

It wasn't producing consistent smoke either and I ended up having to supplement with a tube full of pellets.

Long story short, temperature fluctuated so much that the food was done 2hours early! There was a lot I didn't like about how the butts turned out, but it wasn't terrible. I'd never buy a Pitt Boss. After some research, I just got a Masterbuilt for those times I want to "set it and forget it." It hasn't arrived yet, hopefully it's what I have been reading about.
Sounds like user error to me

Reactions: Steff3
Sounds like user error to me

Perhaps it was user error. Three thermowork thermometers placed around the grill with crazy variance. The design seems flawed. It's trying to be both a BBQ that can sear and a smoker all in one. The piece that switches between the two being a sliding metal plate over the firebox. The algorithm fires the thing up to crazy heights and then cuts off until it drops to crazy lows... all to average at your set temp with the built in thermometer touching a wall on the side.

Neighbor came over another time with the grill and we did ribs and I observed the same thing.

I did consider a vertical Pitt Boss, but didn't like the reviews. Settled for Bear's advice on the MasterBuilt (v2.5)

I have an PB820SC and at 499 (on sale last year July 4th) and a 5 year warranty it's a great value. I have constant temps with about a +/- 5 degree swing using a Savannah Stoker controller. Very happy with mine.

Reactions: TNJAKE and randys01
I have the 820 Pro, just picked it up 2 weeks ago and it's my first smoker. I love it, super easy to use and everything tastes wonderful. At $499 pre-built and delivered from Lowe's it was a great deal.

My only issue was that after the first 2 cooks I had an oval of peeling paint from the bottom of it. Pit Boss said it's not common but it does happen and gave me a $50 online credit. So I picked up a $6 can of black high temp spray paint and put the $50 toward a TON of rubs. To say I'm having fun with it is an understatement.

Reactions: Steff3 and TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky