Pit Boss pellet question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
For people using PB pellet grills, can pellets be left in the hopper or do they need to be removed? Seen a review that said if not removed after each cook they will swell and hang up the auger.

i'm like waterrat, I never empty mine. sometimes it's 2-3 weeks between smokes, I never had a problem, I do keep mine in the garage and covered. like mentioned if you live in a real humid area ya might want to empty it if you don't use it a couple times a week.

I have a Rec Tec RT 700 Bull, not a Pit Boss but the principle will be the same. I've never emptied the hopper on mine. Recently we have had a lot of wet weather and I run mine on a regular basis. Instructions say to empty it if you're not going to use it for an extended period of time (don't remember what that time frame was) but have never had any issues at all. If you're gonna let it sit for a long time, you may want to empty it but if it's used even once every couple of weeks you should be fine.

Robert

Reactions: Smkryng
Thanks everyone! I didn’t think it made a lot of sense when I heard it but I figured better off to ask anyway. I believe if I had to empty it every time it wouldn’t be worth the hassle.

Don't own a pellet pooper so comments based off observations and comments from friends.
Many advise to not use Pit Boss pellets. This is from friends that use and sell poopers
Son-in-law bought a Cabelas (Pit Boss) pooper. Salesman said never use PB pellets.
Friends got a kicked to the curb pooper last year. I opened the hopper and the pellets were close to popcorn sized from the swell. Not sure the brand or the length they sat in the hopper.

I'm a stick and charcoal but I do use pellets in a tube. I have 3 bags of pellets in the garage and they are just fine.

Reactions: Smkryng
I’ve never had any issues in 2 years when using Pit Boss Pellets. All pellets have the potential to swelling from moisture, humidity and water due to improper storage. I prefer using Lumberjack Pellets because many are 100% wood type flavors and not blends... but for the price of $8.80 a bag, the Pit Boss pellets are still a good deal and safe to use IMO.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I’ve never had any issues in 2 years when using Pit Boss Pellets. All pellets have the potential to swelling from moisture, humidity and water due to improper storage. I prefer using Lumberjack Pellets because many are 100% wood type flavors and not blends... but for the price of $8.80 a bag, the Pit Boss pellets are still a good deal and safe to use IMO.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I also have been using (mostly) PitBoss pellets for 2+ years have not had any issues. I do want to get my hands on some Lumberjack pellets to try them out, compare flavor, etc...

Reactions: joelspc and Smkryng
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky