Pit Boss or Smoke Daddy. Who's to blame?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Airsick

Original poster
May 20, 2020
Odessa Fl
I've got a Pit Boss 820. Well, there's not much stock Pit Boss left. Unhappy with the heat fluctuations I put in a Smoke daddy controller. To finally make that work I had to replace the auger, fan, and add a heat deflector. I've also replaced two igniters in the last six months and the latest one (found out it died today) only lasted one cook. I've removed the controls box so many times it flinches when it sees me coming with a screwdriver. My latest issues are loud popping/grating sounds coming from the feed chute when the auger turns. After my last cook I ran it clean and sucked out all residue, but it still made the noises during today's cook. (which I had to hand ignite) there was a lot of smoke coming back through the feed chute and into the hopper. While I'm complaining, there's something not right when you buy a "smoker" but have to use a smoke tube or other device to generate enough smoke.
So here are my latest challenges:
1. Burning out igniters. The last one only lasted one cook. Are the expensive ones any better?
2. Popping/grating noises when the auger turns. Using Traeger hickory pellets. Are they too hard?
3. Smoke coming back through the feed tube. ??
All condolences or ideas are welcomed.
I know two brands I'll never recommend or use again.

My PB has been great for over 2 years now, temp fluctuates a little but the food don't care, I also don't and wont use oil laced pellets. Can you put the stock parts back in? sounds like the smoke daddy kit aint right

Reactions: TNJAKE
Had a pit boss for 3 yrs. just replaced igniter. I use it a lot. Minimum 2 times a week. Get the popping on occasion. I think its just a pellet catching just right in auger. That being said they are better grills than smokers. I prefer my master built for serious smoking. But it needs a maze in a mailbox to do a great job. The humidity we have right now is giving me fits keeping the pellets lit. Almost need a little fan in mailbox

Had my 820 for a year now. Replaced the igniter once after rolling the Pit Boss across rough ground and cracked the igniter. No problems since. Regarding temp swings, replaced controller with Savanah Stoker 4.5 and now have swings of only about 5degrees +/-. Happy with it.

I have a pro series pit boss, and I developed my own controller for it. Now it is the best smoker I have. However, most people don't have those types of skilz. I used a small pit boss Lexington as the red headed step child (put parts that you can buy off amazon to develop the controller). The lexington's auger always popped, and it had a lot of auger fires even with the prototype controller. I think that is just the nature of the cheap auger mechanics that are being used.

Boy what ever happened to using a good old stick burner!
Yea you got to be there every 45 minutes to an hour to feed the beast.
But you sure don’t have to deal with electrical or mechanical problems.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky