PIt Boss Limits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Labsrock1

Original poster
Sep 9, 2023
I am doing a smoke for a large group of varsity football players. I am going to smoke 14 racks of baby backs. I have a rack that will hold all 14 racks in my pit boss. Will this many ribs cook somewhat the same as doing one or two racks on the smoker or do I need t plan on additional time for a cook? I know it is watch and see what they are looking like, but trying to make sure thay are finished in a timely manner for the dinner deadline.

Welcome to the forum from New Mexico.
My thought is it will take a bit longer due to the additional cold in the smoker with 14 racks.
How much, I don't know as I've never cooked that much at once.
But I do know you you better have lots of side dishes.
Football players will likely be able to eat 1 or more racks each.

Yes in total I am doing 3 briskets, about 42ish pounds after significant trimming. Then 15 racks of baby backs. I will finish the brisket first then wrap it and go into a cooler wrapped in towels. I am leaving plenty of time for those to finish then trying to get the ribs to finish about an hour prior to dinner starting. Never smoled this much meat for one event before. Much easier to do multiple pork butts.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Can you smoke the ribs a few days in advance then just heat them up an hour or two before dinner, that may make things a bit easier. Just a thought

Can you smoke the ribs a few days in advance then just heat them up an hour or two before dinner, that may make things a bit easier. Just a thought
If you usually smoke ribs at 225, try 250 but rely on internal temp, not time. If you have hot spots, you might also want to rotate them after a few hours. I’m curious if you’re going to wrap all 14 ribs, or not.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky