Pit boss con that I thought I could live with but couldn’t

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
When I bought my Austin XL I knew I was missing 275 and 325 on the stock controller and knew anything over 325 wasn’t gonna bother me much, I thought eh, close enough I guess. Man was I wrong, after coming from my MES 30 and having all the temp options in small increments up to 275 it really bugs the crap out of me. I did a little research and ended up settling on a Savannah Stoker PID controller. I absolutely love this thing and love all the features and customization it allows! It was a toss up between the SS and the WiFi Rec Tec.
1B2D4419-5AFB-4F0D-B809-396DBD79BB6F.jpeg

Attachments

• 678E5D41-4A01-4839-AD10-043676BB631A.jpeg
    678E5D41-4A01-4839-AD10-043676BB631A.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 9008019F-7449-4710-8A87-70A548BADB75.jpeg
    9008019F-7449-4710-8A87-70A548BADB75.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Steff3
I had a Savannah on a traeger. It worked really well, but at times was very frustrating.
All the adjustments it allows to get dialed in, which are great, sort of baited my OCD brain into always tuning. Seasonally, the setup will change, that's to be expected to a varying degree. I personally could never settle in on a tuneup. I gave the Savannah to my neighbor and it's been kickass for him. Go figure.
I am still pro-PID.
The Savannah FB group is an awesome place for support and inspiration.

Reactions: Smkryng and Steff3
I had a Savannah on a traeger. It worked really well, but at times was very frustrating.
All the adjustments it allows to get dialed in, which are great, sort of baited my OCD brain into always tuning. Seasonally, the setup will change, that's to be expected to a varying degree. I personally could never settle in on a tuneup. I gave the Savannah to my neighbor and it's been kickass for him. Go figure.
I am still pro-PID.
The Savannah FB group is an awesome place for support and inspiration.
I could see how all the adjustments could be a problem for some and also how seasonal adjustments are necessary. I installed mine in colder weather and after warming up had to lower my OutL by a couple degrees. Really though that’s the only adjustments I’ve made since the initial setup and auto tune.

Reactions: Steff3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky