Pit Boss Austin XL... Anything better for $500 or less?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Anyone here have a Pit Boss Austin XL? Is it any good? I saw this smoker at Walfart yesterday and was pretty impressed for the price at $497.00. I'm heavily considering pulling the trigger on one, but before I do I thought it best to get the scoop on them here since this is hands down the best place on the web to get real world info on any of the currently available pellet grills (or any smoker for that matter).

So here is my situation... I have been without a smoker for two years and need something new. I had a MES 30 which died (it was too small and I wanted to replace anyways), and I have decided to go with a pellet grill. I was planning to get a Rec Tec RT 700 Bull last year and decided I just couldn't swing it and would wait until this year. Now here we are and once again due to other commitments and house projects I have succumbed to the fact that once again I just can't pull the trigger on the Rec Tec yet. All in with the cover, searing kit and other various things the Rec Tec comes in at just about $1,500.00. I do believe the Rec Tec is 100% worth the price, and I still plan to get an RT 700 Bull as my permanent solution when I can swing it in probably another year, but I just can't do it right now.

So I started thinking since I just can't pull the trigger on the Rec Tec now, and since I just can't wait another year to start smoking again, I should look for a temporary solution, something decent that will get me through the next 1 to two years until I can get my Rec Tec. Since it is a temp solution, I'm looking for something no more than $500, but it also has to be one of the larger grills though, not a mid size ( I learned my lesson going too small on the MES 30).

I have also looked at various models from Camp Chef and Green Mountain Grills, but the only model from GMG that is under $500 is the Davey Crocket and that thing is just way too small and honestly, even the bigger GMG models the construction just looks cheap to me and not worth the money. Camp Chef looks better and has a couple decent looking grills for $499, but they are smaller than the Austin XL and more of a mid size which I don't want. I even briefly considered the Rec Tec Trail Blazer or Bullseye, but decided the cooking area was just too small on both and the Trail Blazer breaks my budget. I could do it.. but I just don't want to spend more than $500 on a temp solution that is smaller than what I really want.

I should also be clear that I fully understand that for a full size grill for $500 or less none of these will be in the same league as the Rec Tec... and there will certainly be temp swings, but again my current goal is something temporary that will get me smoking now and will get me through one, maybe two years at the most until I can FINALLY get the Rec Tec RT 700.

So this brings me back to the Pit Boss Austin XL. I saw it yesterday at Wallfart and was pretty impressed. The construction seemed really good for the price of $497 (seemed way sturdier and more heavy duty than any of the offerings from GMG regardless of size and price), I liked that it has two meat probes, has a 31 LB hopper, and I also really liked the searing feature as I do plan to grill steaks on it as well, and now I hear they have increased their warranty on all of their pellet grills to 5 years! All of these things have me thinking this is the one (for now lol).

I would love to hear some thoughts from anyone that has one. What is the good, the bad and the ugly on these?

I just bought a Trailblazer (it is actually on its maiden voyage as we speak) stepping up from an MES that died. How much space do you need? With the second shelf there's room for me to make a tray of beans, a tray of Mac n cheese and 2 racks of ribs. I was planning on posting pics and stuff once it's all done later if that would be helpful. I think the trailblazer will be plenty big for almost any application I'd use it (mostly family cooking and entertaining a moderate number of people).

Don't know , but one review had a lot of pluses.
here a link to review. https://furiousgrill.com/pit-boss-austin-xl-review/
Thanks. I did see that review and there really wasn't much of any negatives. The only things they didn't like were that it's heavy.... but that's because it's designed be sturdy and it's the largest size. The only other complaint was that it's not as popular as other models... but I don't care about that or even think that should really be a consideration in a review.

I picked up the Pit Boss Copperhead 5 a few months ago for $109 when they were on clearance. It works great and it has a TON of cooking space. I don't have any experience with the Austin model, but it seems like Pit Boss makes good products. Of course I can't grill on the Copperhead, but I prefer to grill over coals/wood so I have a kettle and a kamado for that.

I just bought a Trailblazer (it is actually on its maiden voyage as we speak) stepping up from an MES that died. How much space do you need? With the second shelf there's room for me to make a tray of beans, a tray of Mac n cheese and 2 racks of ribs. I was planning on posting pics and stuff once it's all done later if that would be helpful. I think the trailblazer will be plenty big for almost any application I'd use it (mostly family cooking and entertaining a moderate number of people).

As much as I would love to get the Trailblazer I'm just worried it's not big enough at only 22" wide. I made the mistake of going with the smaller MES 30 vs. the 40 and regretted it, so I don't want to make the same mistake again. I would like to be able to load it up with 1 full packer brisket, 1 7-8lb pork butt, 1 slab of St. Luis Spares, and 1 - 2 Tri Tip's. For that reason I really want a full size 36" unit like the RT 700 or this Pib Boss Austin XL, both of which will definitely fit that if using the top shelf, but I just can't afford the RT 700 right now. I WILL be stepping up to that once I can afford to though, probably in a couple years after I take care of some other house projects that have to take priority.

I spent all morning today going to different places that have some of these including the Pit Boss's, the GMG's and the Camp Chef's . I found another Pit Boss at Lowes, the Pro Series 1100 that while slightly more than the Austin XL at $599 vs. $497, it seems to be a better value than the Austin XL. Upgrades include a front shelf, a better side shelf, at slightly larger hopper at 35 lbs vs. 31 lbs, a larger second shelf at 11" deep vs. 8.5" deep, an external handle to open the searing section which the Austin XL does not have, and it also has free delivery (same as Austin XL), but on top of the delivery they also assemble it for you for free which is not the case on the Austin XL. I am really thinking this is the one I'm going to pull the trigger on.

Like you I want a rec tec but it's just not in the budget right now. After doing a lot of researching on the web I decided to try a Pitboss. Back in March I ran across the 820's on sale for $399 at Menards and made the purchase. I think it is the same controls and basic grill/smoker as the Austin XL other than it's a bit smaller. Over all I'm happy with it but I did have to get past the temp swings. It will overshoot then undershoot by 15-20 degrees. If I stand there and watch the temp display it drives me crazy so I very likely will install a Savannah Stoker PID controller on it down the road, if for nothing more than for my peace of mind. All that said the food that comes off of it is awesome so I doubt the temp swings are as critical as I worry about and based on results apparently don't really matter.

I have had mine for right at 1 year,I love it,had a couple of probes die but they were replaced. Lowes carrys almost the same smoker but has a front shelf and holds a couple 3 more pounds of pellets,they were about $40 more but seems like they went up some more. I would love to have a front shelf and don't know why, I have plenty of table space but it just seems handier lol.

The PB Pro Series also have heavy porcelain coated cast iron grates. Lowe’s was offering $100 off on new Lowe’s Credit accounts of $600 plus purchase. That drops the 1100 Pro to $499. Check to see if it’s still on.

The PB Pro Series also have heavy porcelain coated cast iron grates. Lowe’s was offering $100 off on new Lowe’s Credit accounts of $600 plus purchase. That drops the 1100 Pro to $499. Check to see if it’s still on.

I will definitely have to look into that. Thanks!

Like you I want a rec tec but it's just not in the budget right now. After doing a lot of researching on the web I decided to try a Pitboss. Back in March I ran across the 820's on sale for $399 at Menards and made the purchase. I think it is the same controls and basic grill/smoker as the Austin XL other than it's a bit smaller. Over all I'm happy with it but I did have to get past the temp swings. It will overshoot then undershoot by 15-20 degrees. If I stand there and watch the temp display it drives me crazy so I very likely will install a Savannah Stoker PID controller on it down the road, if for nothing more than for my peace of mind. All that said the food that comes off of it is awesome so I doubt the temp swings are as critical as I worry about and based on results apparently don't really matter.
You should put a therm in your oven and watch how the temp swings 30 degrees north and south of the temp you have it set at. You will realize that the swings do not matter as long as they are fairly consistent.

I got one for Christmas and love it! I have multiple threads about it whether its customizing it or cooking on it... i haven't had any trouble with it yet, no blow outs, shut downs etc... i was in the same exact situation as you, had a mes30, it died plus wanted something with more "real estate" for big cooks and was not paying $1,000 plus for one. For a Austin xl size of a treager or other brand you'd be looking easily at $1,500+.... the one complaint i have is the temperature increments, i wish they had some settings for in between what is there... like a 275 or 325 but instead its "250 to 300 to 350" but to be honest it's not that big of a deal... also pit boss just upped their warranty to 5 years as well so you can't really beat that

I would get it. If the temp swings bug you, the food will be fine though, you can always add a Savannah Stoker or similar PID controller for much better accuracy later on. You'd still be half the price of a spendy grill in a similar size.

I am just about sold on the Pit Boss, but will likely go for the Pro Series 1100 over the Austin XL mainly due to the handle to open the searing section, the front shelf and the fact they will assemble and deliver for free. That seems like it is definitely worth the extra $100.

There is one thing that I have read several times that is the only thing holding me back at this point, the hot spot issue due to no true heat diffuser. I know this is due to the searing option though which I REALLY like since you can't have a heat diffuser and still be able to open up the sear section.

I'm not so worried about PID vs. Non PID, or temp swings of +/- 10-20 degrees since realistically, your oven has temp swings too and that doesn't seem to effect the food. My old MES 30 had similar temp swings and it was fine so I'm not really worried about it on the Pit Boss. If I decided later that I wanted a PID controller I guess I could do that but I'd be concerned that would void the 5 year warranty. I'm not sure Savanah Stoker even makes one that fits this particular Pit Boss model but it looks like the Rec Tec controller fits if you add a peace to cover the sides.

The hot spots though... I see a lot of people saying the left side of the grill is consistently up to 70 degrees hotter than the right side, with the right side closer to the read out temp. I wouldn't mind a difference of 10-15 degrees from right to left, but 70 degrees seems extreme. That is really the only thing that has me still concerned if I will be happy.

Last edited:
I am just about sold on the Pit Boss, but will likely go for the Pro Series 1100 over the Austin XL mainly due to the handle to open the searing section, the front shelf and the fact they will assemble and deliver for free. That seems like it is definitely worth the extra $100.

There is one thing that I have read several times that is the only thing holding me back at this point, the hot spot issue due to no true heat diffuser. I know this is due to the searing option though which I REALLY like since you can't have a heat diffuser and still be able to open up the sear section.

I'm not so worried about PID vs. Non PID, or temp swings of +/- 10-20 degrees since realistically, your oven has temp swings too and that doesn't seem to effect the food. My old MES 30 had similar temp swings and it was fine so I'm not really worried about it on the Pit Boss. If I decided later that I wanted a PID controller I guess I could do that but I'd be concerned that would void the 5 year warranty. I'm not sure Savanah Stoker even makes one that fits this particular Pit Boss model but it looks like the Rec Tec controller fits if you add a peace to cover the sides.

The hot spots though... I see a lot of people saying the left side of the grill is consistently up to 70 degrees hotter than the right side, with the right side closer to the read out temp. I wouldn't mind a difference of 10-15 degrees from right to left, but 70 degrees seems extreme. That is really the only thing that has me still concerned if I will be happy.
Here is a link to a thread about a product that might help. Apparently it will add smoke flavor and help with even temps.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...d-the-heavy-d-stick-burner-attachment.279194/

I picked up the Pit Boss Pro 4 from Lowes last month and so far with just a couple cooks, I like it a lot. I still need to get a thermometer for the grates to get more visibility on the temp swings everyone claims they see but just looking at the control board it stays +/- 10 degrees. Overall quality seems nice and they give you a 5 year warranty, I also like the ceramic grates that come with the pro series.

Just how thick is a true heat defuser? no matter how thick of metal you put there it will always be hotter than any where else,the only thing that could change that is air flow, I don't feel that there's enuf difference for me to go to too much trouble to try to correct it.

You know, something must be wrong... smh. Why is it that the Top 5 Pellet Grill manufactures produce true heat diffusers for their pellet grills?? 10 gauge steel or stronger devices that covers the burn pot/fire pot on their grills??? Is it perhaps they know something the average Backyard BBQ’er doesn’t quite understand... IDK... smh...
RecTec has a deflector shield/heat diffuser.. https://www.rectecgrills.com/deflector-shield-bull-rt-680/

Traeger Pellet Grills Factory OEM HD Steel Heat Diffuser Baffle 37721001...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Traeger-...l-Heat-Diffuser-Baffle-37721001-New/855556309

MAK 1&2 Flame zone Heat Diffuser $400.00... https://makgrills.com/product/flame-zone/
Yoder Smokers Heat Diffuser with Access Door... https://www.atbbq.com/yoder-smokers-heat-diffuser-access-door.html
Green Mountain Grills Heat shield/Diffuser...
https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/new-parts/stainless-steel-heat-shield-db/

If You do your research, you’ll notice a few things that they all have in common. The construction and the quality of the material being used and that they all sit directly over the burn pot/fire pot.... I know this might be a long read for a few... but it pays to know what you’re talking about and have your facts straight. The MAK’s FlameZone also allows for direct grilling if the cook requires it... Amazing... They all have true heat diffusers to help control and manage the heat in their grills... Just because Pit Boss and Louisiana Grills, both manufactured by Danson Corp. doesn’t offer one on their grills does not mean they couldn’t benefit and perform better by having one. Do You have to have one?? No, but your pellet grill will perform better with one then without one. It’s funny how some will post their opinions without having their facts straight... but everyone has an opinion like everyone has an.... And they have a right to their opinion right or wrong... .02

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky