Pit Boss Austin XL Alternative

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Droopyboi

Original poster
Aug 11, 2019
Is there anything in the same price range as the Pit Boss Austin Xl that would be a better option? Looking to buy my first smoker and want to get started on the right foot. I like everything I see about the Pit Boss, except for the temperature increments you can set it to. Which might be something that doesn’t even matter but I’m worried about anyway. Thanks!

It would be hard to beat the XL. The size and capability are about the best you can get, at that price. If you are unhappy with the controller, after you use it some, you can always upgrade it with a Savannah Stoker PID controller and have a great combination at a good cost.

well I haven't missed having other temps than what mine came with. close enuff for government work and I always give at least a few hours of smoke on big stuff, 30 minutes on steaks before I flame them. lot of choices out there and all will work fine,learning each pit takes some time but the food is repeatable on quality imo.

What do you think about the chimp? Is it too small for most smoking? I can see myself smoking multiple racks of ribs at a time.

Best to try to find somebody that owns a particular 1 and ask about space and other important stuff, sometimes thats tough sometimes

my wife just bought me a pitboss 1000, so far it works great, as far as the temp settings I don't think 20-25 degree's is going to make a big difference

my wife just bought me a pitboss 1000, so far it works great, as far as the temp settings I don't think 20-25 degree's is going to make a big difference

You gotta good wife there SJ. Good luck with your new gadget and show us some smokes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky