Pit Boss 4 Burner Ultimate Lift Off Griddle any good?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I've decided I need to get a griddle, been wanting one for way too long but just never pulled the trigger. I've looked at the Blackstone's, and they look great, but then I saw this one https://pitboss-grills.com/grills/griddles/pit-boss-4-burner-ultimate-lift-off-griddle form Pit Boss and it has some features I really like such as the sturdy lid and a protective coating on the griddle surface that will protect against rust etc. This will be sat outside all year round, and I don't have a patio cover, so the lid is important to me and I like the idea of the coating on the griddle surface even though it will be seasoned as well. I will also have a cover over it when not in use.

I'm wondering though if anyone here has one (or one of the smaller two or three burner versions), and if so what their thoughts were, and how they have performed etc. I know Blackstone's are pretty much the standard, but I haven't seen one with a lid that I liked like this Pit Boss, and also I like the location of the grease drain on the Pit Boss better as well.

7 Bills seems kind of steep. I have a 32" camp chef and a 36" blackstone. The blackstone came with a hard cover for $297.00, I also added a soft full cover as it stays outside in PA and gets covered in snow for extended periods of time (Not our primary residence). So far there have been no signs of rust on the griddle top, it is well seasoned and I usually put a layer of oil on before leaving the house.

I don't like the camp chef's front left grease trap at all, much prefer the blackstones rear trap. I would rather push the grease away from me when cooking then pull it towards me. I aso tend to walk away with more splatters on my shirt with the front trap.

No matte what you choose you will love having a griddle in the arsenal. Good luck!

7 Bills seems kind of steep. I have a 32" camp chef and a 36" blackstone. The blackstone came with a hard cover for $297.00, I also added a soft full cover as it stays outside in PA and gets covered in snow for extended periods of time (Not our primary residence). So far there have been no signs of rust on the griddle top, it is well seasoned and I usually put a layer of oil on before leaving the house.

I don't like the camp chef's front left grease trap at all, much prefer the blackstones rear trap. I would rather push the grease away from me when cooking then pull it towards me. I aso tend to walk away with more splatters on my shirt with the front trap.

No matte what you choose you will love having a griddle in the arsenal. Good luck!

You make a good point on pushing the grease forward rather than pulling towards you. I was thinking about the side grease trap just because I would need to move the griddle every time to get to the grease trap based on where I will be putting it, but then it's not like it's a supper heavy unit so it should be easy enough to move and I guess that's the lesser of two evils.

Walmart has the 36" Blackstone with a hard lid for $327, so looks like that may be the better option.

You make a good point on pushing the grease forward rather than pulling towards you. I was thinking about the side grease trap just because I would need to move the griddle every time to get to the grease trap based on where I will be putting it, but then it's not like it's a supper heavy unit so it should be easy enough to move and I guess that's the lesser of two evils.

Walmart has the 36" Blackstone with a hard lid for $327, so looks like that may be the better option.
I paid $297 for it in Nov/Dec, like everything else prices going up. You will need to have it at least 8" (guestimate) from any wall in the back to be able to flip up the lid. When it is cool you can reach the grease trap by reaching over the back, no moving necessary. Also buy the grease trap aluminum trays for the trap (Amazon has the best price) that way you can just toss the tray away and not have to deal with washing out the grease tray. This thing gets really hot, most times I cook on medium.
A few pic cooks to get you excited
bkfast1.jpg
bkfast2.jpg
burger1.jpg
burger2.jpg
sword2.jpg
fajita4.JPG

Reactions: kevin james
I paid $297 for it in Nov/Dec, like everything else prices going up. You will need to have it at least 8" (guestimate) from any wall in the back to be able to flip up the lid. When it is cool you can reach the grease trap by reaching over the back, no moving necessary. Also buy the grease trap aluminum trays for the trap (Amazon has the best price) that way you can just toss the tray away and not have to deal with washing out the grease tray. This thing gets really hot, most times I cook on medium.
A few pic cooks to get you excited
View attachment 525321View attachment 525322View attachment 525323View attachment 525324View attachment 525325View attachment 525326

Oh I'm already very excited about it, no issue there lol

you are going to have fun, get some silicon egg rings to keep the eggs in a tighter circle, forget the metal ones that comes in the amazon grill sets they are useless. But the extra spatulas that come in some of those sets are very helpful. Also Walmart sells a matching soft cover for this if you need and it was not too expensive I believe like $37.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky