PIT BOSS 10697 Table Top Pellet Grill Tool

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chrny

Original poster
Aug 22, 2015
Has anyone tried the Pit Boos 10697 Table Top Pellet Grill? I looking for something for my travel trailer, that's compact and can get various styles of BBQing. Here in California most areas aren't allowing charcoal anymore because of the fire hazards. I am not really a fan of gas/propane BBQs.

Welcome to SMF!

I have seen the little Pit Boss but have not used it. Looks like it would work for your travel trailer though!

I'm not familiar with that unit but not all "small" units are 12volt powered, should that be important to you. (I believe Green Mountain Grills has one that is.)
Then again, the power draw is not more than a few amperes at 120Vac so a 12Vdc-120Vac inverter is not really a big deal. Also, parts like fans, auger motors, and hot finger fire starters are much more plenteous at 120V, so long-term maintainability may favor the conventional wallplug units as well.

I have the little Green Mountain Grill, the new version is called the Trek and is 12V. It comes with a 120V plug as well as direct battery. I have a second rack system and a blanket for it for colder temps. I have done a 12 lb turkey in it before. Its a nice little grill!

edit - PS, I will add it has PID control and will go up to 550 degree with open flame grilling. It will also smoke down to 150deg. So it has full size functionality in a small footprint.

Last edited:
Reactions: bill1 and bigfurmn
I have the little Green Mountain Grill, the new version is called the Trek and is 12V. It comes with a 120V plug as well as direct battery. I have a second rack system and a blanket for it for colder temps. I have done a 12 lb turkey in it before. Its a nice little grill!

edit - PS, I will add it has PID control and will go up to 550 degree with open flame grilling. It will also smoke down to 150deg. So it has full size functionality in a small footprint.
Thanks for the lead, i looked into the GMG Trek, and that one looks far more appealing . Where did you purchase yours? A local dealer, Amazon??

thanks for the info. One last question i noticed some pictures show thinner longer metal legs and others short and fat legs. Are these the same smoker and with both legs an option. I liked Amazon because i could get the cover, great rack, and lights in a package.

The short legs version is the new one. The skinny metal legs is the older and one I have. I would point to the short leg version...

Turns out I was familiar with that PB "portable" grill...it used to be a Country Smokers model, but as with Smoke Hollow products, they're being re-branded by parent company Dansons with their most famous name, ie Pit Boss. ASMOKE and the Traeger Ranger are similar products but all 3 are 120VAC products, while the GMG is designed around 12VDC. Whether that's a plus (no inverter needed when camping!) or a negative (harder-to-find parts in the future!) is a separate matter.

CORRECTION: Smoke Hollow was bought out (and their models are also being re-branded) by Masterbuilt, not Dansons. I should have said Country Smokers and Lousiana Grills.

Last edited:
There are more than subtle differences between the old "Davy Crockett" portable (skinny legs) and the new "Trek" portable (short legs, with a stand option). The Trek has a sliding inner heat shield/diffuser while the DC's have a fixed heat shield. Some of the DC's came standard with a perforated grease tray, although it can be added to either DC or Trek.

Also, those skinny legs fold up into a handle. If I was going to have to carry that 60+ pound portable grill more than 10', I think I'd appreciate the integral handle. Those skinny legs can also be used at ground level, although you'll need a short stool (or bucket) to sit on to tend it, while the Trek short legs really do require a table (truck bed or insulated picnic table) or the optional stand to use. The very early DC's maybe didn't have wifi and phone interface, but the later ones did.

If any of these features are more or less important to you, you may want to choose just which portable GMG you get. But all Green Mountain products seem well-built and have a loyal following here.

There are more than subtle differences between the old "Davy Crockett" portable (skinny legs) and the new "Trek" portable (short legs, with a stand option). The Trek has a sliding inner heat shield/diffuser while the DC's have a fixed heat shield. Some of the DC's came standard with a perforated grease tray, although it can be added to either DC or Trek.

Also, those skinny legs fold up into a handle. If I was going to have to carry that 60+ pound portable grill more than 10', I think I'd appreciate the integral handle. Those skinny legs can also be used at ground level, although you'll need a short stool (or bucket) to sit on to tend it, while the Trek short legs really do require a table (truck bed or insulated picnic table) or the optional stand to use. The very early DC's maybe didn't have wifi and phone interface, but the later ones did.

If any of these features are more or less important to you, you may want to choose just which portable GMG you get. But all Green Mountain products seem well-built and have a loyal following here.

My DC has the sliding perforated deflector for open flame grilling, mine is not WiFi. The folding legs are not the best design. The little spring legs it has when the handle are in use make it a PIA to put in the truck! I would trade them for the short legs and side handles they added. In fact I may to do a conversion to mine.......

Thanks for the explanation on the legs that was one of the biggest thing i didn't understand and couldn't find any clarity. I appreciated Civilsmoker's recommendation beings he owned one, but was still a little lost on the differences.

Reactions: bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky