PID Controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dons2346

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Currently using a Traeger with the stock controller. When on the smoke setting, I get temp swings from 200 up to 350. Even on the regular temp settings, I get 100 to 250 temp swings. I have played with the settings but it really doesn't make much difference. In comparison, my Green Mountain Davey Crockett stays within 10 degrees of setting.

I have decided to install a PID on the Traeger for better control so the question is: What is a good controller to install? I have looked at Pellet Pro and Savannah Stoker, are there any others I could consider?

Personally, I'd call Traeger first. You shouldn't see temp swings that crazy, and you shouldn't have to spend more money to make it work properly.

Dave

Reactions: Wettle and PAS
I used a Savannah on my traeger pro 22.
It worked pretty well, but the level of tuning it allows was my downfall with it and the grill. It would run pretty tight on temp, then it would lose 15 degrees, then overcompensate and overshoot 20 degrees. Then it would settle back in for a while. 15 minutes later it would then bounce the temps again. It drove my OCD crazy. Never made bad food though.

30 +- dont bother the food those type of swings will ruin some food, i would ck the readings on the thermistor, they can and will go bad , a few minutes and a meter may save ya a lot of $

Personally, I'd call Traeger first. You shouldn't see temp swings that crazy, and you shouldn't have to spend more money to make it work properly.

Dave
I have talked to Traeger and they told me to adjust the P settings. I've tried different settings and either it will run way to cold or way to hot I can never get the temps at a happy medium. I would be happy with a + or - 30 swing

Well grill daddy has a PID controller. I am working on a PID controller for that model. Would you be interested in being a beta tester? PM me if you want to try a Pellet Master.

Well grill daddy has a PID controller. I am working on a PID controller for that model. Would you be interested in being a beta tester? PM me if you want to try a Pellet Master.

Dr.Dobbins, I would love to but I do a lot of traveling and I don't think I could do you justice. Better have one of the old timers help you out. Thanks for the offer

Well, I did it. I installed a Savannah Stoker PID and so far so good. The controller was a direct plug and play on my 10 year old Traeger. I did a test burn, running temps from 180 up to 300. The 180 setting caused a run up to 225 but settled down to 180 for an hour. Ran temp up to 225 and no over shoot and temp held within 5 degrees of set. Next was up to 275 and it held within 3 degrees for the hour. Final run was at 300 for 30 minutes and it stayed right there.

I like the cool down feature that will not allow you to just turn everything off. After reducing the temp down to 225 hit the power off, the fan keeps running while no pellets drop until the pit is at 120 and then it drops pellets to clear out the auger.

The Savannah is a nice controller when you get it dialed in. I had one on a Traeger 22.
It worked well, but I found I was always playing with the tuneup. You will find that you may have to adjust your settings slightly to accommodate seasonal weather. Other then that, if it's running within 10 degrees, let her do her thing.

Reactions: Just4SmokinGrillin
Might not have to worry about seasonal weather much. I live in the PNW and only here when the weather is between the high 50's and the mid 70's. Once in awhile the weather goes crazy and gets up into the low 80's

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky