PID Controller wiring help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

downdabayou

Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
I am going to built a 220 PID controller for my smokehouse. I am going to use the element/blower kit from SS.com. The picture showing the element wiring is from their website, but is wired to go to their controller. I have based the parts I need from Grupes thread on his 120/240 controller. I need some guidance on the rest of the wiring. The controller will have an on/off switch to turn off/on the pid/controller and another on/off for the blower motor. Thanks once again for any help!

Ouch......  Not the best schematic/diagram to use as a go by.

First thing.  This appears to be the kit from Sausagemaker you are talking about.

This kit provides the heating element and the blower along with their housings only.  The rest of the control and power circuit is up to you. So back to that first thing.  Map out all the components you want to use, and make sure they are compatible with each other before you buy anything.

The wiring of PID units is specific to brand & models within a brand.  Do not use a diagram of someone's build as yours, as if you use brand X and he used brand Y components they may look the same, but no be electrically the same (may need to be wired totally different).  Even within the same brand you will see different wiring diagrams for PID's for instance.

If you are building something to take the heat chamber up to 300* or more, you are not building a smoker, you are building an oven.  I would not go with a wood frame structure with that heat target in mind.  Got that info from your other thread.  For those who may not have seen it, here is a link

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/152386/electric-smokehouse-design-help

The reason I say this is you will also be heating the durock boards to 300* and they will also eventually conduct the heat to the frame of the smoker (which I take is wood from reading your smokehouse post). Screws would be the hottest and quickest point of conduction.  I would be uncomfortable taking a wooden structure to more than 250* and would prefer to keep it in the 225* max range.

Have you searched this forum and looked at the other builds?  There are quite a few threads with wiring discussions and some are 220v builds.

Reactions: smokin420
I'm not sure... but I thought I read somewhere that copper wire should not be used with the thermocouple.... If anybody knows anything about this, please fill us in... as I have done the same thing with the plug in's... but the thermocouple seems to be ok though... Maybe Dave can help us (me) out on this...

I'm not sure... but I thought I read somewhere that copper wire should not be used with the thermocouple.... If anybody knows anything about this, please fill us in... as I have done the same thing with the plug in's... but the thermocouple seems to be ok though... Maybe Dave can help us (me) out on this...
I didn't use copper wire for the thermcoupple, I used a K type thermocouple extension wire and ran it from the PID to a female panel mount connector. My thermocoupler going to the smoker has a male type connector. I got the wire and the connectors from Auber Instruments. Hope this helps you!

r

ok... so you leave the thermocouple in the smokehouse ? The yellow female plug in the picture goes to it ? The extension you have goes from PID control box to the yellow female plug ? so the extension goes threw a hole in the control box and is wired directly to the PID ? or one of those female plugs on the control box is for the thermocouple extension ?

Holey Keeee-Rap..... Bayou.... You may as well stock up on parts and pieces.... I think there will be a run on those controllers....

I know who I'm calling when the time comes... :2thumbs:

Also... looking at your wiring closer (big picture)... It looks like you didn't use any circuit breakers to protect the PID or the heating element ?

Here's a rough build of my control box (gonna make a new one with a better box)... but want to change the wiring for the thermocouple to omit any copper wires.... Also gonna change the female plugs to included twist locks like yours....

Jck, I did use a breaker (quick blow) on the input to the PID. I used the thermocouple extension wire to go from inside the box from the PID to the female plug. Then I have a thermocouple that already has the male end on it. I have included pictures of each.

This is the female that goes to the PID.

My thermocouple will be permanently mounted to the smoker and I will be able to plug and unplug it when I need to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky