PID controller or Non PID controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Forum Newbee here, but old enough to be well into medicare! A couple months ago I made a midlife change (anyone can hope) and purchased a Camp Chef PG24DLX smoker after reviewing mindless numbers of various brand reviews, etc. After using the smoker 3 times I contacted customer service regarding temp swings (as indicated on the controller and verified with independent accurate thermometer inserted into the smoke chamber, ie: cooking area).
The set pt was 300, for 3 hrs temps continuously swung from 205 to 405. After 3 hrs the set pt was adjusted to 250. For the next 1 hr temps swung between 190 to 342. After 4 hrs the temp went to 525 and I shut the thing down.
Not wanting to complain 1/2 cocked, I decided to put a couple nice racks of rib on to smoke for 5 hrs. Long story short, the smoker performed exactly as previously except after 4 hrs 10 min the controller threw an error code and shut itself off.

I contacted Camp Chef customer service with a lengthy log of actual temps achieved and asked for help. They immediately sent a new thermometer and a new controller and explained they had not seen one of their controller shut itself off. I have one! Camp Chef customer service is EXCELLENT !

Unfortunately Camp Chef's Chinese made controllers aren't representative of the fine people that work at the company. With the new thermometer and controller installed I smoked 4 trout for 90 minutes at a temp set pt of 225 last night. Ahhh true to it's fine design/build quality, the controller maintained a consistent temperature between 160 and 362 with verified temps using an independent thermometer in the cooking area indicating true temps to be approx 10-35 degrees warmer.

Forum Newbee here, but old enough to be well into medicare! A couple months ago I made a midlife change (anyone can hope) and purchased a Camp Chef PG24DLX smoker after reviewing mindless numbers of various brand reviews, etc. After using the smoker 3 times I contacted customer service regarding temp swings (as indicated on the controller and verified with independent accurate thermometer inserted into the smoke chamber, ie: cooking area).
The set pt was 300, for 3 hrs temps continuously swung from 205 to 405. After 3 hrs the set pt was adjusted to 250. For the next 1 hr temps swung between 190 to 342. After 4 hrs the temp went to 525 and I shut the thing down.
Not wanting to complain 1/2 cocked, I decided to put a couple nice racks of rib on to smoke for 5 hrs. Long story short, the smoker performed exactly as previously except after 4 hrs 10 min the controller threw an error code and shut itself off.

I contacted Camp Chef customer service with a lengthy log of actual temps achieved and asked for help. They immediately sent a new thermometer and a new controller and explained they had not seen one of their controller shut itself off. I have one! Camp Chef customer service is EXCELLENT !

Unfortunately Camp Chef's Chinese made controllers aren't representative of the fine people that work at the company. With the new thermometer and controller installed I smoked 4 trout for 90 minutes at a temp set pt of 225 last night. Ahhh true to it's fine design/build quality, the controller maintained a consistent temperature between 160 and 362 with verified temps using an independent thermometer in the cooking area indicating true temps to be approx 10-35 degrees warmer.

My question to anyone/everyone is: Should I invest in a new after-market PID controller, go back to plain grilling on the gas grill and buy someone else's smoked BBQ, dig out the 45 yrs old cast aluminum hibachi, or just go on and check into the local old folks home and dream about BBQ ? Obviously a different Chinese controller mfg'd for Camp Chef has little chance of providing acceptable results, so I just won't even throw that option out there.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or snide remarks will be accepted - some appreciated more than others. Thank you.
Sorry for the long venting post.
If you don't want a Chinese controller, don't get a PID. Maybe some controllers are built elsewhere, but the PID (the brain) will certainly made in China.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or snide remarks will be accepted - some appreciated more than others. Thank you.

If you don't want a Chinese controller, don't get a PID. Maybe some controllers are built elsewhere, but the PID (the brain) will certainly made in China.

I think I'm going to disagree with you on that statement Gary; respectfully of course. I have been using an Auber Instruments WSD-1203CPH PID Controller on my Bradley 4-rack electric smoker for about 4 years now. I just checked the unit and there isn't a single sticker anywhere on the unit that says 'Made in China.' I talked with the company last week about a possible PID Controller replacement for my CC Woodwind and they don't sell one direct but referred me to Savannah Stoker who does make a controller for my Woodwind that includes the PID function from Auber Instruments. On the Auber Instruments website there is this:
About Auber Instruments said:
Auber Instruments was founded in 2006. It manufactures and sells controllers and measurement instruments for industry and home use.

So my disagreement is that not ALL PID Controllers come from China. I can't speak for the SmokeDaddy unit because I don't know where they get their PID function from.

The belief that the problem with CC is that the controller is manufactured in China is completely misguided. The controllers work exactly as designed. They produce a duty cycle for the auger that changes based on whether the measured temp is above or below the setpoint. The problem is that this is a poorly DESIGNED controller. Doesn't matter if it was built in the US, Germany or China. The simple algorithm it uses does not work to maintain stable temps under some circumstances. My CC had wild temp swings, yet the controller moved the auger for the correct number of seconds that it was designed to do. So of course, changing the controller with another of the same design did not resolve it. I've worked with several folks online who've had the same issue. If the timed duty cycle is within spec, the problem is not due to a poorly manufactured controller.

I think I'm going to disagree with you on that statement Gary; respectfully of course. I have been using an Auber Instruments WSD-1203CPH PID Controller on my Bradley 4-rack electric smoker for about 4 years now. I just checked the unit and there isn't a single sticker anywhere on the unit that says 'Made in China.' I talked with the company last week about a possible PID Controller replacement for my CC Woodwind and they don't sell one direct but referred me to Savannah Stoker who does make a controller for my Woodwind that includes the PID function from Auber Instruments. On the Auber Instruments website there is this:

So my disagreement is that not ALL PID Controllers come from China. I can't speak for the SmokeDaddy unit because I don't know where they get their PID function from.
I have built a great many temp controllers for smokers, sous vide rigs, heat / cool brewing units, refrigeration units, what have you and I can assure you that I have never seen an actual PID unit that wasn't built in China. Maybe the controller was built locally, but not the basic electronics. The average PID unit sells for $25 - $40. and an SSR is less than $15. You just can't build that stuff in North America for that. Not all things have stickers.

The Savannah Stoker PID controller sells for $189 plus $15 for the Camp Chef adapter I would need for my smoker. Then shipping and possibly taxes. Not sure I want to spend over $204 for a PID controller until I have a chance to play a little longer with my new CC Woodwind. If I can get good tasting and properly smoked foods with what I have, I'm OK with temp swings.

I somewhat agree with that. I just spent over $1200 for the grill & accessories. The first long smoke projects have turned out well. If they continue to do so, a PID controller wouldn't be needed. I do want the WIFI upgrade that is coming out direct from CC in the next 6 to 8 months. I am already on their waiting list to be called as soon as its available.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky