Pid controller issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ngibbs88

Original poster
Dec 19, 2020
New member, first post. This is for those that built a pid controller for their smoker. I built a uds about 3 months ago. At that time I purchased all the components to also build a pid controller, however I just got around to building that just today. I did all my homework, or so I thought, and I'm pretty sure I have it wired right, but when I hooked up the fan, it immediately blew the motor in the fan when I plugged it in. Anybody that has any advice for me would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Welcome from Iowa! Can't help with pid problem. There's a member here that does a fair amount with that, not sure but think it was JC in GB JC in GB if I'm correct maybe he will chime in and help

Ryan

Reactions: JC in GB
Well, I figured it out everybody. I was using too high of an input for my fan

I can walk you step by step how to wire it in but what do u mean by:
"but when I hooked up the fan, it immediately blew the motor in the fan when I plugged it in"?
- what are u wiring?
- why are u rewiring?
- what was the problem? why are u rewiring?
- what PID do you have?
- are you using SSR or relay as external trigger?
What are you trying to accomplish?

if you rewired something wrong way, it will affect whole unit and down stream breaker in your panel will pop out... if breaker doesn't pop out, and unit doesn't perform the way it is designed to perform it means your unit is in "stand by/hibernating state... which means it may be close to "silent killer" state...... so... what is it that you did up to this point?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky