PID-Controlled Oven Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scguy

Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
Here's my first foray into smoking. I decided against spending big money on a smoker until I get some delicious practice in first to see how much I'll actually use it. Found an old oven sitting curbside for free, things went from there.

Details: Rewired to 1!0V, original 220V element is now calculated at ~800W. It's enough to hit 350F, although it takes a while. It'll hit 250F in less than 10 minutes from cold, so that's good enough for me.
Inkbird ITC-106VH PID controller: first one was DOA, second works well. Can probably tune better, but it holds temp +-3F.
Smoke comes from an AMNPS tray in the mailbox, then through the ductwork into the bottom of the oven. First run smoked about 10 hours off of 1 tray.
Built a rolling cart from scrap lumber and HF furniture dolly casters.

Total cost is somewhere around $80.

The oven is a 1974 model GE. One of the first to offer self-cleaning, it's pretty well insulated, also, it's a bit of a unique size at 27".

The maiden run was a small pork butt for 9.5 hours at 225F. Flavor was fantastic, but it was a pretty sorry cut of meat.

It may not be pretty or make a smoke ring, but it's working fine for me.

Yall have a good one.

66895582_10217134517468651_602888759817535488_o.jpg

I'm digging it! Pretty darn genius if you ask me. What wouldn't work better to hold heat then a oven! Point for sure.

Here's my first foray into smoking. I decided against spending big money on a smoker until I get some delicious practice in first to see how much I'll actually use it. Found an old oven sitting curbside for free, things went from there.

Details: Rewired to 1!0V, original 220V element is now calculated at ~800W. It's enough to hit 350F, although it takes a while. It'll hit 250F in less than 10 minutes from cold, so that's good enough for me.
Inkbird ITC-106VH PID controller: first one was DOA, second works well. Can probably tune better, but it holds temp +-3F.
Smoke comes from an AMNPS tray in the mailbox, then through the ductwork into the bottom of the oven. First run smoked about 10 hours off of 1 tray.
Built a rolling cart from scrap lumber and HF furniture dolly casters.

Total cost is somewhere around $80.

The oven is a 1974 model GE. One of the first to offer self-cleaning, it's pretty well insulated, also, it's a bit of a unique size at 27".

The maiden run was a small pork butt for 9.5 hours at 225F. Flavor was fantastic, but it was a pretty sorry cut of meat.

It may not be pretty or make a smoke ring, but it's working fine for me.

Yall have a good one.

View attachment 401907

Hi there and welcome! Wow that is awesome hahaha.
I'm thinking your pork butt might have needed more time to hit an Internal Temp (IT) of like 205F+ which would make it pull apart tender for sure.

I look forward to seeing what else you smoke, this is a fun smoker! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky