Pickles ,Pickles ,jams and Jellies and more ( Preserve Harvest )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Pickles ,Pickles ,jams and Jellies and more ( Preserve Harvest )

So the crops were good this year and I found ( well Mona did ) great cucumbers.
So I did not get to make any pickles really last year , so made up for it this year

On my list was/is :
my Mustard Pickles , Bread and Butter pickles, Sweet Onion and Jalapeno Relish
Jalapeno Jelly, Mustard Seen caviar, Apple butter, Grape Jam
I was making everything just before the storm hit here and we were down for a few days working off of generator

so the pickling stopped for a bit

Did not get to the Apple butter the Caviar or the grape Jam ( I picked all the apples and the grapes from the trees and vines, and
good thing as the trees took a beating ) Will try to get them this week, been busy cleaning up and helping others.

DSC_5615.JPG

first Bread and butter
DSC_5626.JPG
Sliced and salted and ready to set for 3 hours
DSC_5628.JPG DSC_5629.JPG DSC_5630.JPG

Rinse and make the sauce add and than bottle , and into the bath

DSC_5631.JPG
DSC_5632.JPG

Made 3 batches, than the mustard pickles , same idea just different ingredients

DSC_5646.JPG
DSC_5635.JPG

Here is a couple days of work and a winter of good eats, ( some bottles went missing right away, Mona loves to give my work away lol)
when making the mustard pickles there is always extra sauce left over and I just bottle it up, but I did have a big bowl of it while it was hot....love this stuff.

DSC_5655.JPG

DSC_5656.JPG

DSC_5657.JPG

DSC_5658.JPG

DSC_5660.JPG

So I am hoping I can get to the apple butter and the grape jam soon, the Mustard Seed Caviar can be done at anytime , just don't want to lose the apples and grapes

Thanks for looking and enjoy the good side of mother nature.

David

Pickles look fantastic. I planted a bunch of pickling cucumbers this year and they were doing great till the moth larvae started eating them. Ended up pulling every plant. Will try again next year.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Pickles look fantastic. I planted a bunch of pickling cucumbers this year and they were doing great till the moth larvae started eating them. Ended up pulling every plant. Will try again next year.

Thanks Kvgsqtii for the like and the comment

Like making preserves out of my own produce, but not much room ( too many trees ) for a veg garden but I do have some fruit trees.

Hate it when the bugs get at them, I lost all the cherries and pears this year to something called June Drop. Just after they finished blooming

David

Man, oh man David that's some good work! Opening one of those when there is snow on the ground is like a summer flash of sun and warmth!

Man, oh man David that's some good work! Opening one of those when there is snow on the ground is like a summer flash of sun and warmth!

Thanks civil for the like and the comment

Yes they are great and I have been putting the bread and butter ones on lots , Just had a big corned beef sandwich with a big load B+B on it . Fantastic ( and the Dutch Apple Pie Jam is good on lots. using it as a glaze on chops this weekend )

David

• Love
Reactions: civilsmoker
You have certainly been busy glad you got those apples and grapes harvested before the storm hit. It all looks very good

You have certainly been busy glad you got those apples and grapes harvested before the storm hit. It all looks very good

Thanks Jerry for the comment

Yes was busy trying to get it all done, but with only generator power had to wait until reg power.

The storm laid down my Cortland apple tree and removed almost every leaf from all the fruit trees , so yes glad I harvested the fruit that were ready to come off anyway

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky