Picked up a propane tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just kidding ..I cut the half moon tonight and I was pretty nervous ..I wussed out on using a torch ..I filled with soap and water and used a cutt off wheel and a sawzall ..I'm going to use a torch for the doors ...but ehat a relief I was stressing all week about it

Don't see the problem here....The best neighbors are those who keep their distance.....others need a hint

Reactions: kdfiter
Did a little work today...i cut out all the fittings that's where on top of the tank ..I wasnt going to do it but i knew it would bug me if i didnt ..i used the half moon cut out for the patches
20181222_151251.jpg

Attachments

• 20181222_155434.jpg
    20181222_155434.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20181222_155557.jpg
    20181222_155557.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 89
So i have a question about the end of the opening on reverse flow plate..seeing I times my calculated area numbers by 1.5 ..do I cut it at those numbers or my original ones

I made my height of my half moon cutout at 12 in ( a little big because I'm going to put 3 in channel for grease trap) if I put the end of my reverse flow plate at 12 in from the end ..my cooking grate will over hang by 2 and not catch the grease..hope that make sense

Attachments

• 20181223_165049.jpg
    20181223_165049.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 85
I try to keep my grease trap at least 2-3” longer than the grates. You don’t want to have grease and other bits getting into the bottom of the cc. It is a pita to clean, even with a second 2” drain installed specifically for that purpose.

So do you think I will be fine if my end of the reverse flow plate is shorter than my half moon sizing ..I would have to make it 10 in instead of 12 to make sure that my grate cooking grate is above the plate

I would be more concerned about potential turbulence associated with locating the drain tube so close to the bell. So long as the total volume of the opening is at least as large as the firebox-cooking chamber opening, it shouldn't pose a restriction problem. (Maybe other builders will weigh in here.) Alternatively instead of stretching the entire rf plate and grease channel, you can keep it at 12 “ and fabricate an end plate that flairs up and out at an angle such that it extends a couple inches beyond the end of the grate. (Similar to how a gravity flow wagon flairs out from the bottom) That will keep the drain tube plumbing out of the bell end which should minimize restrictions and turbulence at the end of the rf plate.

Reactions: kdfiter
I cut my doors today and I got pretty lucky they didnt spring to much ..so after reading a few threads I've decided I'm going to make a plenum for the stack.ive been searching threw the forums seeing if theres any kind of exact measurements to make it and I couldnt find anything .my question is ..do you make the opening of the plenum the same size as the stack (I'm going with 6 in) or do I make it bigger also the and of the bottom of the plenum is that just at 45 degrees

Attachments

• 20181230_111834.jpg
    20181230_111834.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Your build looks great. Why did you decide to go with a plenum on your stack? Just curious. I looked at doing that also but just ended up putting the stack straight into the top of CC.

Everthing I've been reading says you get better air flow ..I've done smaller reverse flows and had my stack just go straight down and they seem to work fine ..I figure maybe I'll build a plenum and give it a try and see if theres much of a difference

The only thing that I dont like about the plenum is I wanted to build a warming box on top of my firebox ..not sure how that's going to work out with a plenum

So if I do go with a pletum is the aaron franklin style the way to go ..I dont see a lot of reverse flows with the pletums and I still cant tine how big they make the opening

Well made a little progress this weekend and after debating whether or not to build a plenum.. I decided to just build it ..it was a little time consuming but I got some good advice from kmammam and got er done ..I also sealed the inside doors with flat stock .I'm building this solo so everything seems to take forever

Well made a little progress this weekend and after debating whether or not to build a plenum.. I decided to just build it ..it was a little time consuming but I got some good advice from kmammam and got er done ..I also sealed the inside doors with flat stock .I'm building this solo so everything seems to take forever

Attachments

• 20190105_152832.jpg
    20190105_152832.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 74
It's going ok ..I've been battling a bad cold and now where getting hammered with snow up here in wi ..I'm kind of as far as I can go with the tank until I get my fire box going..so I started on the trailer last weekend ..I have a scrapper that I get some of my steel from and he hooked me up with 3 in channel iron but the only problem was that it was painted with orange powder coat so I spent the whole weekend sanding and painting ..when I get this steel from my scrap guy its cheaper but sometimes it's just more work ..

Reactions: Johndeere1
So I got done with some progress this weekend ..after battling -55 degree temps ,2 feet of snow and a bad cold and a bum ankle I was able to get most of my trailer done (still have to wire it) this weekend ..I made a removable tongue (we have a lot of thief's in this town) that I thought turned out pretty good.. the trailers upside down in this pict..as you probaly can tell I have limited work space ..now I'm going to make a Aframe to hoist this tank

Attachments

• 20190203_123827.jpg
    20190203_123827.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 49
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky