Picked up a propane tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kdfiter

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Wi
So I just came across a 250 gallon propane tank and I've been doing tons of research on cutting it ..right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the propane smell out of the tank (I live in a residential neighborhood) I dumped 5 gallons of bleach in it last night and this morning the bleach was frozen.i live in wi so I'm battling the cold wheather..I'm trying to neutralize the smell..I was thinking maybe on a windy day and when the temp gets warmer to fill it up with soap and water and drain in the street..but will the water stink up my neighborhood ..I was going to do it in the middle of the night..any suggestions on on neutralizing the smell

Last edited:
20181207_141555.jpg
20181207_141547.jpg
20181207_141547.jpg

DON'T DUMP IT IN A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD.... The mercaptains will have the police and fire dep't there in a flash...
Put Dawn dish soap and warm water in it... about 3/4 full.... drive around to slosh it all over the inside of the tank and find somewhere in the outback to dump it that is not near a stream or river.... gravel pit would be considered...
3/4 full would be about 1500 lbs.... + the tank..... chain it down good in the truck...

Last edited:
Check the weight rating of your truck. You may be pushing the limits if you add that much water weight, tank weight and passenger weight. Also I don't think your neighbors are gonna want that much water flowing down the road especially this time of year. Can you say ice rink.

Chris

The guy I bought the tank from (who had hundreds of them ) told me all he does before he cuts them is blows compressed air in it for about a hr then cuts them open ..so I was think of blowing compressed air threw it on the windy days just trying to get it empty ..then put it on a trailer about a 1/4 full with water and dish soap and go dump it in a rural area ..I would fill it up more but I dont want to break anything on my truck ..hopfully after that it wont be so smelly then I can fill and drain a few times at my house before cutting

If you blow air through it, then cut it open while the air is on, use a cutoff wheel, then you can build a fire in it to burn out the stink oil that's left... It is flammable by the way... It usually settles out in the bottom of the propane tank... If it is there, you can wipe out most of it with paper towels... wear throw away clothes, nitrile gloves, mask, eye goggles, respirator.... all the safety gear you can think of... the stink don't go away.... I think they use skunk base or ambergris as a base so it don't go away... the stuff they use for very high end perfume...

How bad Is the smell when u burn out the stink oil and will flushing it multiple time get rid of the stink oil

So I was going to do like dave said and put it on trailer with soap and water and go dump it somehere..I found a good deal on 3 and 4 inch channel iron 8ft long for a trailer build ..I was thinking of going with the 3 inch with a 4ft axel ..is the 3 inch channel strong enough and Is the 4 ft axel wide enough..I want to make sure that my fire box is high enough off the trailer that I dont bottom out

Is the channel strong enough? Depends on how thick the channel wall is (sometimes expressed in lbs/ft). I would not recommend building a trailer until you have locked down the firebox design and dimensions.
Making the tank safe to cut and getting rid of stink are two different things. Given this is your first build, flooding the tank with water before making the cut is the safest way to purge any residual explosive gas, but given your proximity to urban neighbors, you will need to get rid minimize the mercaptain stink before making that first cut.
Regardless of how remote any area may seem to you, please, please do not drive out into a "rural" area and dump anything without first securing the land owners permission. Around here (as in many rural areas), illegal dumping is a good way to meet the local sheriff, get shot at, or maybe even both. Instead, please work to find a local land owner or tenant willing to work with you (maybe in exchange for some future bbq services?) to find a safe spot to dispose of the waste. Yes, it will be a bit of work and may take some time, but a step absolutely necessary to keep everyone happy and safe

Is the channel strong enough? Depends on how thick the channel wall is (sometimes expressed in lbs/ft). I would not recommend building a trailer until you have locked down the firebox design and dimensions.
Making the tank safe to cut and getting rid of stink are two different things. Given this is your first build, flooding the tank with water before making the cut is the safest way to purge any residual explosive gas, but given your proximity to urban neighbors, you will need to get rid minimize the mercaptain stink before making that first cut.
Regardless of how remote any area may seem to you, please, please do not drive out into a "rural" area and dump anything without first securing the land owners permission. Around here (as in many rural areas), illegal dumping is a good way to meet the local sheriff, get shot at, or maybe even both. Instead, please work to find a local land owner or tenant willing to work with you (maybe in exchange for some future bbq services?) to find a safe spot to dispose of the waste. Yes, it will be a bit of work and may take some time, but a step absolutely necessary to keep everyone happy and safe

Thanks. Those of us in rural areas appreciate that. Why folks think it's OK to dump anywhere but their neighborhood is beyond me. Many of us have wells and we don't want your crap leeching into our springs.

Also dumping their unwanted animals seems to be a 'thing' around here too.

Thanks all I didnt mean to offend any one and I have a buddy that said he doesnt care if I fill the tank by him (he lives in the county) so I'm not just going to dump it anywher ..my main concern is just neutralize the smell and I will cut with full of water

No offense taken here, it is easier to gently remind folks now than potentially waste time and valuable ammunition later. Sounds like you have a plan. Now...if your buddy can be "influenced" (think promises of tender hog and cow parts kissed in smoke and slathered in sauce, being washed down with his favorite malted beverage), he might also let you make the first cut and burn it out at his place.
Remember, pics or it never happened.

So I did my first flush at my buddy's place ..I used dawn dish,tsp and some bleach ..you could smell it pretty good but we were in a open field with some wind ..I'm planning on cutting in the next few days. and I was going to purge with tri mix 75/25 from my welder ..but I was also thinking maybe getting dry ice instead ..just so i don't use all my gas up..anyone use dry ice ? Also my buddy had a old snow mobile trailer that he was scrapping ..he told me he would sell it to me for 50 bucks ..but I noticed the tires were really short and wide ..he didnt know what weight the axel was rated for ..I didnt get a chance to measure the the lug nut size ..but I was wondering if I could get bigger tires for it ..the length on the axel was 5 feet I was going to go with a 4ft axel but for 50 bucks it's hard to pass up

Attachments

• 20181216_095949.jpg
    20181216_095949.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 16
Now that you have the stink washed, the worst part is over. If you filled the tank with water, it should have displaced any remaining gas. Dry ice will work...if you had a door to load it with..which would require cutting. Welding gas is an alternative, but pretty pricey. The cheapest and one of the safest ways to make the first cut is to simply fill the tank with water and go after it with a cutoff wheel. It is safe, but messy, so don't wear anything you value greatly. Once you have the first couple cuts made, you can use a fire wrench for the balance. My first choice is the plasma cutter, second is cutoff wheels, and only use the oxy/acetylene torch as a last resort.
About that trailer, if you want to spend $50.00 for a lot of headaches, go for it. I realize that make sound a bit harsh, but I have never seen a trailer built to haul snowmobiles that was strong enough to support a typical 250 gallon build. Trying to "beef it up" will cost more money (and far more time) than simply spending a bit more money up front to start with a suitable trailer.
Good luck, let us know how you are getting along..

Thanks kmman ..I decided not to go with my buddy's axel I'm most likely just going to buy a new axel ..I have the steel for the trailer ..so I'm going to cut the tank this weekend..my plan is to fill with water and cut the half moon out first (with a cutting wheel) then empty ...then cut out the main doors out with a cutting torch .or should I do the doors first ..I just figured if the half moon was cut first it should be plenty safe for using a cutting torch

Sounds like a plan. I lay all of my cuts out with painters tape before picking up a cutting tool. I also mock up the firebox with cardboard (or plywood if I am not in a hurry). I then scribe the the tank contour onto the mock box...(actually a multi step process of scribe, cut scribe cut) until the mock firebox fits the tank exactly as I want. At that point I scribe a line onto the tank...then cut 1/4"-1/2" short of the line. Once the actual fire box is constructed, I use a fit, trim, cut process until the mating surfaces are where I need them. Granted, there are probably builders who can eyeball everything, make perfect cuts and never need to patch holes, etc. I am not one of them. Mocking the fb allows me to visualize the cc door alignment and make the small adjustments you will always wish you had otherwise made. The great thing about this process is that it also works if a person should elect to cut the doors first. Probably a dozen other ways to do it, but this is the way that keeps my rework to a minimum. Good luck!

Weld in the FB before you cut out the doors, "could" reduce the "spring back" in the tank and make the doors fit better...

That's a good idea mocking up the fire box with card board I might have to try that..I dont have the steel for my firebox yet and I was going to do my burn out this weekend ..seeing 8m not going to be able to weld my firebox on to prevent warpage..do you think maybe tacking a piece of angle across the half moon would help prevent door spring

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky