1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Picked up a propane tank

Discussion in 'Reverse Flow' started by kdfiter, Dec 8, 2018 at 9:30 AM.

1. kdfiter

kdfiter Fire Starter

So I just came across a 250 gallon propane tank and I've been doing tons of research on cutting it ..right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the propane smell out of the tank (I live in a residential neighborhood) I dumped 5 gallons of bleach in it last night and this morning the bleach was frozen.i live in wi so I'm battling the cold wheather..I'm trying to neutralize the smell..I was thinking maybe on a windy day and when the temp gets warmer to fill it up with soap and water and drain in the street..but will the water stink up my neighborhood ..I was going to do it in the middle of the night..any suggestions on on neutralizing the smell

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 9:35 AM
  2. kdfiter

kdfiter Fire Starter

20181207_141555.jpg 20181207_141547.jpg 20181207_141547.jpg

3. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

DON'T DUMP IT IN A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD.... The mercaptains will have the police and fire dep't there in a flash...
    Put Dawn dish soap and warm water in it... about 3/4 full.... drive around to slosh it all over the inside of the tank and find somewhere in the outback to dump it that is not near a stream or river.... gravel pit would be considered...
    3/4 full would be about 1500 lbs.... + the tank..... chain it down good in the truck...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 1:50 PM
  4. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru

Check the weight rating of your truck. You may be pushing the limits if you add that much water weight, tank weight and passenger weight. Also I don't think your neighbors are gonna want that much water flowing down the road especially this time of year. Can you say ice rink.

Chris

5. kdfiter

kdfiter Fire Starter

The guy I bought the tank from (who had hundreds of them ) told me all he does before he cuts them is blows compressed air in it for about a hr then cuts them open ..so I was think of blowing compressed air threw it on the windy days just trying to get it empty ..then put it on a trailer about a 1/4 full with water and dish soap and go dump it in a rural area ..I would fill it up more but I dont want to break anything on my truck ..hopfully after that it wont be so smelly then I can fill and drain a few times at my house before cutting

6. daveomak

If you blow air through it, then cut it open while the air is on, use a cutoff wheel, then you can build a fire in it to burn out the stink oil that's left... It is flammable by the way... It usually settles out in the bottom of the propane tank... If it is there, you can wipe out most of it with paper towels... wear throw away clothes, nitrile gloves, mask, eye goggles, respirator.... all the safety gear you can think of... the stink don't go away.... I think they use skunk base or ambergris as a base so it don't go away... the stuff they use for very high end perfume...

7. kdfiter

kdfiter Fire Starter

How bad Is the smell when u burn out the stink oil and will flushing it multiple time get rid of the stink oil

8. daveomak

There are lots of propane BBQ pits out there... they don't stink...

9. kdfiter

kdfiter Fire Starter

So I was going to do like dave said and put it on trailer with soap and water and go dump it somehere..I found a good deal on 3 and 4 inch channel iron 8ft long for a trailer build ..I was thinking of going with the 3 inch with a 4ft axel ..is the 3 inch channel strong enough and Is the 4 ft axel wide enough..I want to make sure that my fire box is high enough off the trailer that I dont bottom out

10. kmmamm

kmmamm Fire Starter

Is the channel strong enough? Depends on how thick the channel wall is (sometimes expressed in lbs/ft). I would not recommend building a trailer until you have locked down the firebox design and dimensions.
    Making the tank safe to cut and getting rid of stink are two different things. Given this is your first build, flooding the tank with water before making the cut is the safest way to purge any residual explosive gas, but given your proximity to urban neighbors, you will need to get rid minimize the mercaptain stink before making that first cut.
    Regardless of how remote any area may seem to you, please, please do not drive out into a "rural" area and dump anything without first securing the land owners permission. Around here (as in many rural areas), illegal dumping is a good way to meet the local sheriff, get shot at, or maybe even both. Instead, please work to find a local land owner or tenant willing to work with you (maybe in exchange for some future bbq services?) to find a safe spot to dispose of the waste. Yes, it will be a bit of work and may take some time, but a step absolutely necessary to keep everyone happy and safe

11. kelbro

kelbro Smoke Blower

Thanks. Those of us in rural areas appreciate that. Why folks think it's OK to dump anywhere but their neighborhood is beyond me. Many of us have wells and we don't want your crap leeching into our springs.

Also dumping their unwanted animals seems to be a 'thing' around here too.

12. kdfiter

kdfiter Fire Starter

Thanks all I didnt mean to offend any one and I have a buddy that said he doesnt care if I fill the tank by him (he lives in the county) so I'm not just going to dump it anywher ..my main concern is just neutralize the smell and I will cut with full of water

13. kmmamm

kmmamm Fire Starter

No offense taken here, it is easier to gently remind folks now than potentially waste time and valuable ammunition later. Sounds like you have a plan. Now...if your buddy can be "influenced" (think promises of tender hog and cow parts kissed in smoke and slathered in sauce, being washed down with his favorite malted beverage), he might also let you make the first cut and burn it out at his place.
    Remember, pics or it never happened.