Picanha sale this week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
our little meat place puts Picanha Prime on sale from time to time for $8.99/lb. hickory smoke to 115, the sear on Bla ketone. definitely buy ing another in the morning while sale is on.
5E507EE7-BAFA-4999-9307-60E5D8AC9FB5.jpeg

Thank you all,
One of the "blessings" of living in S Florida with Argentinian influence. My new favorite.
When my wife says, buy more and freeze it, I know it's a hit.

That looks about perfect!! Picanha is not a really well known cut but it is excellent. I just got a big order of beef last Friday and there just happened to be one of those in the order :emoji_wink:

Robert

I like picanha a lot. The one I had a month or two ago was absolutely outstanding. The queen of steaks! It was a memorable meal - especially with the chimichurri sauce with fresh parsley which is a must with picanha. So a few days ago I picked up one over at Lotte (Asian) Market. I wanted a small one for just the wife and I, and so bought the smallest one available out of five. Took it home. Cooked it last night on the Weber the usual way. Very disappointed! Very tough. I know how to trim picanha and I know how to cook picanha and I know how to slice picanha, so what is going on??? I checked the cryovac wrapper and it was the same packer I had purchased from previously - HIGH RIVER ANGUS. So why? This discouraged me. I don't want to be buying picanhas and have them turn out hit and miss. I want a wonderful picanha every time!

After sleeping on it, this morning I realized what happened. The one I picked out was amazingly hard in the wrapper. It was really stiff. At the time, I thought it just had a really thick fat cap. But now I realize it wasn't the fat cap, it was the cow. It was just a tough piece of meat. In other words, one needs to choose a picanha just like he'd choose a brisket. Look for marbling. Look for flexibility. Make sure it's floppy, and don't base the purchase just on size or grade.

Rookie mistake!

Lesson learned.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky