Photo posting test.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
Just trying to work out ways to post photos that won't clog up the servers on here and will appear in the thread in varying sizes. Nothing smoking related, sorry :)

6847411213_ebecc68baf_o.jpg

Last edited:
Haha!! Thanks Bear!! Not being very computer savvy, just trying to figure out how guys like you and SQWIB get that world class Q-view!! I also don't want to overload the servers, and judging by how long these take to load, I'm afraid I'm not on the right track.

By the way, the first 2 photos (same pic in 2 different sizes) were taken in your home state of PA at TNT shooting grounds. If I remember correctly that was a pheasant meeting an untimely end. Or it might have been a chuckar, can't remember now. I do remember it wasn't the best shot as I pretty much gutted the bird. Got caught by surprise and was a little behind on swinging through the bird. The gun is my Grandfather's 1936 Model 12 Skeet with a factory installed Cutts Compensator. He won a couple state skeet championships with it in the 40's and 50's. It's probably had close to a million rounds through it and the bore is still like a mirror. I did have to adjust the take down lug 1 notch about 10 years ago though. 1 notch in 78 years isn't too bad! As far as I know, it's still on ALL it's original parts, including the firing pin. Hope I can say the same at 78 years young.

Oh, and to get the pic, I was wearing a Gopro camera on my head recording HD video. Just pulled a few frames out of the video. I looked a little goofy, but got some pretty good footage.

Haha!! Thanks Bear!! Not being very computer savvy, just trying to figure out how guys like you and SQWIB get that world class Q-view!! I also don't want to overload the servers, and judging by how long these take to load, I'm afraid I'm not on the right track.

By the way, the first 2 photos (same pic in 2 different sizes) were taken in your home state of PA at TNT shooting grounds. If I remember correctly that was a pheasant meeting an untimely end. Or it might have been a chuckar, can't remember now. I do remember it wasn't the best shot as I pretty much gutted the bird. Got caught by surprise and was a little behind on swinging through the bird. The gun is my Grandfather's 1936 Model 12 Skeet with a factory installed Cutts Compensator. He won a couple state skeet championships with it in the 40's and 50's. It's probably had close to a million rounds through it and the bore is still like a mirror. I did have to adjust the take down lug 1 notch about 10 years ago though. 1 notch in 78 years isn't too bad! As far as I know, it's still on ALL it's original parts, including the firing pin. Hope I can say the same at 78 years young.

Oh, and to get the pic, I was wearing a Gopro camera on my head recording HD video. Just pulled a few frames out of the video. I looked a little goofy, but got some pretty good footage.
Kinda hard not to gut a pheasant, unless you wait long enough for a wider spread.

Best guns I got from my Dad were a Double Barrel 12, and two 30.40 Krags.

Your pics are Great---They look kinda 3 dimensional.

Bear

There's the video of the hunt. With the skeet choke on the gun, I usually try to swing through to catch the bird with the back edge of the pattern. At 20 yards it's about a 3ft perfect pattern with very little room between the pellets, but it's still pretty bunched up in the middle. So if I'm right on target, as was the case here, I end up with hamburger. At 35 yards you could drive a truck through the pattern and not get one pellet on it.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos. I appreciate it more than you know. Many years ago I worked for a photographer and I made the same comment to him about his photos looking almost 3D. I asked him how he did it and he just said "You'll get there...".  I'm wouldn't say I'm "there" yet but it is fun to keep trying. The garlic pictures were just me goofing around in the kitchen yesterday, I was using a couple flashlights with parchment paper as a light diffuser.

Last edited:
Thanks Gary!! The stone residence is actually the outside of the church in the interior pic. It's a composite of 3 or 4 shots of different exposure levels that I ran through HDR software. I think I did the interior shot the same way, but to a less extreme level obviously. Its been a few years and I can't remember for sure though. It really is a beautiful Church. I sit there most Sundays and just stare at the beautiful stone work daydreaming about having a house built in the same way.

Last edited:
MdBoatBum, what different methods are working for you?  This forum hasn't allowed me to post pictures like any otherforum i belo ng to.  Picture button, use URL is the only method I've figured out how to make work.

To post the larger photos I first uploaded them to Flickr. I tried using the link function built in here on SMF to no avail. It didn't seem to like the link or embed codes. Then just copied the location of the photo, and that worked, but still only gave me the original small, medium and large options. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was just trying to figure out how others got these big, bold, beautiful photos inline in their posts. So what I ended up doing with the last few photos here was to open up the photo in Flickr and navigate to the size I wanted to display. Then I just right clicked on that and chose "Copy Image". Then I just pasted that photo in the reply box here on SMF. Then I went back to Flickr, right clicked on the image again, and chose "copy image location". Then back to SMF (having both sites open in separate tabs made it a lot easier), selected the photo I'd just pasted in the reply box and then clicked the link option at the top of the reply box. That opened up a dialogue box and asked me to enter a web address, so I just pasted the image location in there. The result is a large inline photo that will open in another window at a larger size when you click on it.

It's a bit of a process, but like I said, I was just trying to figure it out. I think the built in photo options are by far the easiest way to go, and might be the easiest on the servers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky