Personal best Brisket for the holiday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 16, 2016
Creswell OR
Haven't posted for a while, but I see the smoke is still lingering around here. My smoker has been full and kept busy while I was on hiatus. and thought I would share my Memorial day brisket meal. This was my personal best brisket I have made. In fact, probably best I have ever had!

FLAGS OUT!
0 flags.jpg

I started with a 13 lb CAB choice packer. Fat was moderately trimmed to 1/4" to 3/8" and trimmed back the thin part of the flat quite heavily for grind (making another stab at some all beef dogs). Seasoned with SPOG and let rest for 18 hours in the fridge.

1 seasoned.jpg

2 trim.jpg

I stayed up late Saturday night and got the Webber Kettle going with RO Ridge and chunks of peach wood. I placed the meat, set my therms with temp alarms and went to bed about midnight. It kept 230-250 pretty well once I found the sweet spot with the vents. Had to get up twice to stoke and add a few more coals. It stalled at 155' between 6 and 8 in the morning, but I let it ride without wrapping yet to get a better bark than what I was seeing. I double wrapped in foil when it hit 170' and finished it in the oven at 230 since I had an errand to run in town and didn't want to leave the smoker unattended.
3 stall temp.jpg

When I got back the remote therm read 201'. I probed around the thicker part of the point and there were a couple of spots that were not yet quite butter and pulled it when it hit 207'. Totally like Jello! Wrapped it in 2 heavy bath towels and stuck it in the cooler to rest until dinner.
4 wrapped.jpg

Wrapped
5 unwrapped.jpg

Unwrapped from foil: moment of truth!

I removed the point from the flat, and took the fist slice from the flat. I don't know if the pictures here do it justice. It was SOOO juicy and moist! I couldn't ask for any better than how this one turned out.
6 sliced 1.jpg

7 Sliced 2.jpg
Sides were steamed broccoli and home made mac n cheese.
8 broc.jpg

9 M&C.jpg

10 Plated.jpg

Plated

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend as much as I did!

Thank you. I see I wasn't the only one making brisket for Memorial Day. :emoji_wink:
This one was exceptional for sure and far exceeded my expectations. Still savoring the leftovers!

Reactions: jokensmoken
Thank you. I see I wasn't the only one making brisket for Memorial Day. :emoji_wink:
This one was exceptional for sure and far exceeded my expectations. Still savoring the leftovers!
Brisket wasn't my origional plan...I had four racks of ribs pulled Friday when my daughter and niece both ambushed me and said
"Brisket pleeeeease"...
I dont know if that means my ribs are that bad or brisket that good but when the ladies ask for brisket...they get brisket...
I wish I had a few leftovers...lol...I got one sammie out of the leftovers...

Brisket wasn't my origional plan...I had four racks of ribs pulled Friday when my daughter and niece both ambushed me and said
"Brisket pleeeeease"...
I dont know if that means my ribs are that bad or brisket that good but when the ladies ask for brisket...they get brisket...
I wish I had a few leftovers...lol...I got one sammie out of the leftovers...

Haha! I wanted wings, but was told we are having brisket! I probably wouldn't have any leftovers had I made wings. So theres that.

Looks awesome. You have to listen to "Those that must be obeyed"!

RIGHT? I know exactly what you mean. Unplanned smokes or last minute changes stress me out, but gotta keep the tribe happy!
Man that brisket looks great! Points on the smoke.

Thanks! That means a lot. I like the points... (and the flats!) :-)

Erik

Reactions: jokensmoken
That brisket looks melt in your mouth tender! That’s awesome, thanks for posting!

Thanks Smokin! It really was quite "melty". And I have never done any kind beef with peach wood before. That was a WOW moment also.

Haven't posted for a while, but I see the smoke is still lingering around here. My smoker has been full and kept busy while I was on hiatus. and thought I would share my Memorial day brisket meal. This was my personal best brisket I have made. In fact, probably best I have ever had!

FLAGS OUT!
View attachment 396924

I started with a 13 lb CAB choice packer. Fat was moderately trimmed to 1/4" to 3/8" and trimmed back the thin part of the flat quite heavily for grind (making another stab at some all beef dogs). Seasoned with SPOG and let rest for 18 hours in the fridge.

View attachment 396925
View attachment 396926
I stayed up late Saturday night and got the Webber Kettle going with RO Ridge and chunks of peach wood. I placed the meat, set my therms with temp alarms and went to bed about midnight. It kept 230-250 pretty well once I found the sweet spot with the vents. Had to get up twice to stoke and add a few more coals. It stalled at 155' between 6 and 8 in the morning, but I let it ride without wrapping yet to get a better bark than what I was seeing. I double wrapped in foil when it hit 170' and finished it in the oven at 230 since I had an errand to run in town and didn't want to leave the smoker unattended.
View attachment 396927
When I got back the remote therm read 201'. I probed around the thicker part of the point and there were a couple of spots that were not yet quite butter and pulled it when it hit 207'. Totally like Jello! Wrapped it in 2 heavy bath towels and stuck it in the cooler to rest until dinner.
View attachment 396935
Wrapped
View attachment 396929
Unwrapped from foil: moment of truth!

I removed the point from the flat, and took the fist slice from the flat. I don't know if the pictures here do it justice. It was SOOO juicy and moist! I couldn't ask for any better than how this one turned out.
View attachment 396930

View attachment 396931 Sides were steamed broccoli and home made mac n cheese.
View attachment 396932
View attachment 396933
View attachment 396934
Plated

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend as much as I did!

Fantastic brisket! Keep it up!

Glad to have ya back posting, because that brisket looks fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky