pepperonie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
i have always wanted to try my hand at making pepperonie but the dry curing kinda scares me , plus there areso many recipes to chose from its kinda hard to pick one
i make a lot of smoked sausage and polish sausage every year , but have never dry cured anything

Not having a curing chamber I would stay away from traditional curing unless you have 70% humidity and 60 degree basement. I suggest the UMAI bag and the refrigerator method. You can get an easy Pepperoni recipe, bags and instructions from the UMAI web site.......

My 2 cents

Boykjo

That's my next step is umai pepperoni...did the salami not long ago and turned out really well!

Ryan

airplane-movie.gif

indaswamp : while i am not commiting to making them, i would like to know what is involved in making them before commiting to making them, as i said earlier i know nothing about the process ,
i live in a very dry climite and kinda figured that the heat and humidity would be required to be closely controled and would mean that special equipment would be required .....am i right so far ?

indaswamp : while i am not commiting to making them, i would like to know what is involved in making them before commiting to making them, as i said earlier i know nothing about the process ,
i live in a very dry climite and kinda figured that the heat and humidity would be required to be closely controled and would mean that special equipment would be required .....am i right so far ?
Buy this book:

The Art of Making Fermented Sausages [Paperback] [2009] (Author) Stanley Marianski, Adam Marianski

Book can be had for $15 bucks. Best resource on the planet to learn how to do it the right way safely.

Post a pic. when you have it in your hands, then read it cover to cover (except for the recipe section). After you read it, come back and ask questions and I will answer them.

thanks , sounds like what i need , i'm working on some renovations to our rental property and then have a lot of smoked sausage to make after that, when thats finished i will have the time needed to devote to the pepperonie . so as you can tell it will be awhile before i can really dig into it ..just something that has always been in the back of my mind to try one day

Yeah go with inda on all things dry cure salumi. He has it down pat and very good at it.

Reactions: zari21
If you dont't have the room or the equipment, like the others have posted, try Umai.

Easy with great results.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky