Pellicle on bacon.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Perfect.  I've been able to keep it at 60-80 degrees.  I'm going to have to figure out a solution for the summer when outdoors temps are in excess of 100. 
This is why you here people here talk about the cool fall weather as time to make bacon.  Some will use ice packs and the mail box mod to keep the temps down. I just get up really early and start while the temps are still low. IMHO any temp below 80 deg is OK.

Mark, I've had good success pre-cooling the air going into the smoker, plus the old trick of ice in milk cartons.

That is always the question... how much smoke is enough and how much is too much. 

I sometimes over smoke things, especially pork, on purpose. It does not taste very good when you try a slice but after it cooks in a pot of beans for a while... mmm. 

If it is to be eaten as-is, then I smoke it less.

This is where experience is the best teacher. You will get a feel for how your times, temps, and smoke density are going to translate into flavor. 

There are so many variables too, that it is hard to be really consistent. One thing though.... there is no bad bacon, only good bacon and better bacon, so you can not lose.

BB

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky