Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ycastane

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
Lithia, FL
I've been wanting to get a stick burner for some time now, due to being rented I am unable to do so at the time due to not wanting to move an 800lb smoker around from place to place. Anyways I pulled the trigger and got myself a Weber EX6 so I can enjoy better bbq until I get me the stick burner. Currently have some spare ribs cooking at the moment.

I come from smoking on a propane MES I believe looong ago and upgraded to MES electrical until that one started coming apart and went to an electric Smokin-it 2D and now the pellet.

Anyways after watching a lot of videos and reading here I decided to go after Knotty Wood pellets that are getting delivered on Tuesday and Jealous Devil which is what I am using currently since I was able to source them locally.

On this forum it seems that everyone if not most go for LumberJack. So my question is,

Where and how to get them cheaper. I just contacted both companies to see if they sell bulk, don't think knotty wood sells bulk and waiting on JD to respond because they actually do.

At $20 a bag, smoking becomes a little or a lot more expensive then I am used to.

So asking how to make it more affordable and also if anyone has done the comparison of LJ, JD, KW and what do they think as far as flavor. I plan on getting some LJ soon, right after I try the KW.

Doing a brisket next weekend.

Thanks,

Reactions: MrAhmerGamer
Check you local classifieds for dudes selling lumberjack pellets. I found two guys that are close by selling them for $10 a bag - as many or as few as I want. Met one at his office.

Or Dicks Sporting goods sells and delivers them. I can’t recall what I paid per bag but they were less than $20 each for sure.

For whatever reasons my Lowes can’t open a pallet without cutting half the bags open.. So they sell them for 5 a taped up bag. Once a got a trash can full if I bought the can ;)

Reactions: wwilson
I get the LJ from my local Rural King.
my cousin sells Cookinpellets, but i dont even get a family discount so i dont try them.
Bear Mountain is good but i stick with LJ.

The LJ site has a dealer lookup. I found a guy in western wa that sells them for $11 per bag and I imagine if I bought more the price would drop. I'm thinking of offering to make a group purchase if I can find others in the area.

I have to give them a try and go from there.
I'm with Jake on the B&B . I have an EX4 . I have also used the Weber pellets , which I liked . Lowes had them on clearance for 8 bucks a bag . I should have bought the whole pallet .

Reactions: TNJAKE
Well thats just great….thanks for the heads up! Saved me a 40 minute trip!
Even if the RK pellets are ok, they are only showing competition blend, hickory, apple, and southwest blend(whatever that is) in the RK brand. No pecan, oak, or cherry. I mostly use a blend of hickory and cherry, or pecan and cherry if I have pecan around.

I use cabelas pellets at $9 per 20 lb bag. I’ve heard it’s the same as lumberjack but easier for me to get. Our local dicks Has lumberjack competition blend but I have to order 100% hickory. I can get the 100% hickory in cabelas brand. So far so good.

So far we have liked Bear Mountain, Lumberjack, and Pit Boss. These are all made with hardwoods for what ever flavor you are going after. Cabela pellets are supposedly made my Lumberjack but I have heard they burn faster than normal Lumberjack.

Traeger is another brand out there with pellets but from what I have read they use oils for the different flavors plus they are $20/bag in my area while I can get all my favorites for less than $10/bag.

You can check your local Walmart for pellets as well. They tend to have decent prices and if you go on their app you can order pellets if they don't have them on the shelf.

Cabela pellets are supposedly made my Lumberjack but I have heard they burn faster than normal Lumberjack.
Somebody in a recent thread said that Cabela's are no longer made by Lumberjack, and are now made my Bear Mountain. I don't remember who it was that posted it, but they said they were told this by an employee at Cabelas.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
I'm looking for a thread that linked a You Tube video that did a comparison of 5 or 6 different pellets

Rural King in your area may have left over Lumberjack Pellets.

ycastane ycastane
The RK in Lake Wales was down to LJ char hickory blend when I was there a month ago.
Tractor Supply in Haines City has Bear Mountain.
Cabela's Bass Pro Shop in Orlando had stacks of original Cabelas pellets made by Lumberjack. I haven't been to the one in Tampa.

Tractor Supply has been stocking Bear Mountain with most at $9.99. Dick's sells LumberJack and I've heard they will price match. Academy Sports did carry B&B but it looks like they may have changed to Bear Mountain at $9.99.

I've been wanting to get a stick burner for some time now, due to being rented I am unable to do so at the time due to not wanting to move an 800lb smoker around from place to place. Anyways I pulled the trigger and got myself a Weber EX6 so I can enjoy better bbq until I get me the stick burner. Currently have some spare ribs cooking at the moment.

I come from smoking on a propane MES I believe looong ago and upgraded to MES electrical until that one started coming apart and went to an electric Smokin-it 2D and now the pellet.

Anyways after watching a lot of videos and reading here I decided to go after Knotty Wood pellets that are getting delivered on Tuesday and Jealous Devil which is what I am using currently since I was able to source them locally.

On this forum it seems that everyone if not most go for LumberJack. So my question is,

Where and how to get them cheaper. I just contacted both companies to see if they sell bulk, don't think knotty wood sells bulk and waiting on JD to respond because they actually do.

At $20 a bag, smoking becomes a little or a lot more expensive then I am used to.

So asking how to make it more affordable and also if anyone has done the comparison of LJ, JD, KW and what do they think as far as flavor. I plan on getting some LJ soon, right after I try the KW.

Doing a brisket next weekend.

Thanks,
If I owned a pellet smoker I would burn the cheapest well working pellet I could get my hands on for heat/fuel (Pit Boss Competition blend?).

BUT I would burn the best pellet I could get my hands on in a pellet tube for smoke flavor (LumberJack probably or something else about is good).

This would make things very affordable and allow for maximum control.
Inexpensive pellet for heat. Premium pellets for flavor.

Pit Boss Comp Blend is very very mild in my opinion so shouldn't cause any issues with flavor.
FYI, Home Depot around here seems to take orders of Knotty Wood and CookinPellet (both 100% woods) and is free delivery to the store. You may want to check the same if you have a Home Depot anywhere near you :)

I hope this info helps! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky