Pellets made with Bark or not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stevessmokeshack

Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
I have been reading and watching videos on different pellets and how they are made. One major brand BBQ Delight says bark is bad due to ash, and other reasons, others like Lumberjack and i think Knottywood use the bark and state how you need it to get proper flavor. Both camps sound convincing. Other than use what you think tastes or performs best does it matter?

I have been reading and watching videos on different pellets and how they are made. One major brand BBQ Delight says bark is bad due to ash, and other reasons, others like Lumberjack and i think Knottywood use the bark and state how you need it to get proper flavor. Both camps sound convincing. Other than use what you think tastes or performs best does it matter?

Hardwood bark on wood chunks and splits can produce its own dirty smoke because it may not be dried enough as well as containing molds , funguses and even insects. Hardwood pellets on the other hand go through very detailed refining process that removes all the bad stuff that may be present, but in doing so it also removes a lot of the smoke flavor that’s found in hardwood chunks and splits. Lumberjack manufacturers their pellets with the bark for added smoky flavor and the end results are very good when compared to other hardwood pellets from other manufacturers. The only downside to adding bark to the pellet manufacturing process is the added production of pellet ash. You’ll have to dump the pellet ash out after every bbq or you’ll have a greater chance of a flameout on future cooks if you don’t. Another thing to be watchful for is code words like “blends” and flavor oils that some companies use to try too hide the fact that their pellets are not 100% what they say they are like 100% hickory or 100% mesquite ect. .02. Good luck

1 thing I have noticed, more ash at low temp smoking vs higher, not sure if it's getting burned up or blown out but stick burners produce ash so what's the big deal with a pellet smoker? it only takes a few minutes to clear all of it no matter how much there is imo. Taste is what I am after and everything else isn't going to sidetrack me lol

Reactions: chopsaw
When I used my offset I always burned the bark on never noticed a off flavor so dont see why pellets with bark would be a problem but this is my opinion.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky