1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

pellets and smoke quality

Discussion in 'A-Maze-N Smokers' started by saltysandman, Jan 10, 2019.

1. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Smoking Fanatic

Might be late to the party but I’ve experienced the same problem to an extent.

I only use the amazen brand pellets. Had trouble keeping them lit then started microwaving for 2 minutes stirring in between. Haven’t had any problems since especially with cold smoking.

Problem I think was my MES40 is so well insulated that if you don’t have enough airflow or use water in the water pan then they tend to go out fairly easily.

I keep mine inside now in a closet and microwave before I use.

Good luck and try the amazen brand I don’t think you will be disappointed.

bill ace 350 likes this.
  2. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Smoking Fanatic

I microwave also. I use whatever pellets are on sale. Never had an issue with smoke, flavor etc, with the exception of on time. The pellets returned to full flame during the smoke.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  3. saltysandman

saltysandman Fire Starter

***UPDATE***

So after all this testing, it really was the moisture in the pellets. My new pellets came in and now staying lit and producing TBS. Using my 6x6 pellet tray which works fine. The dried pellets, especially the ones that i dried for 2 hours seemed to be okay as well but they burned quickly. I think there needs to be a balance. Lesson learned is to keep my pellets in sealed or airtight containers until ready for use. I'm going to melt my old pellets and dry them to use as dust.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Ribs in the smoker now and i know they will be amaZn.