Pellet Smoker question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pedirn

Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
Hello,

I used to have an electric smoker that died a couple years ago and I really miss having a smoker. I was thinking about trying a pellet smoker, but really don't know much about pellet smokers besides the little bit I've been able to read. Looking on Amazon I found this one that has good reviews:
Z Grills ZPG-7002B 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker, 8 in 1 BBQ Grill Auto Temperature Controls, inch Cooking Area, 700 sq in Black
for $478.90.
Does anybody have any experience with this smoker?
Is it relatively easy to user for somebody who has never used anything besides an electric smoker?
Any other tips/comments about pellet smokers in general?

Thanks for the help!

not familiar with that one, but i have an mes 30 electric and pitboss pellet grill/smoker, pellet grills work good but your not going to get the smoke flavor you do with electric. i use a amnps tube with the pellet grill and that helps some with a stronger smoke taste.

From what I have heard and seen walk away. These are sold in my local Safeway store! The adage of "you get what you pay for" holds true. Treager, Reqtech, Yoder, Pitts & Spitts. Mak. To name some at both ends of the cost.

I had a Kenmore which is the exact same as a Z-Grills, even has a zpg model number. I got rid of mine only because I moved. I smoked between 10 and 15 pounds of jerky every weekend for about 6 months and never had a problem. I do however have a recommendation for you. Do lots of research before buying and buy one that fits the bill for what you want to do, grill, bake, low and slow. It all depends on what you want to do with it. I now own a Yoder and would never own another brand but will tell you to buy what you can afford for what you want to do.

Just FYI, I've seen the PitBoss 700 series on discount (I assume clearance, probably coming out with some upgraded model) at stores all summer for under $400. I think it was $350 at BJs last time I looked.

Buy the 1 you can afford that has the best warranty is my advice, I have had mine for over 2.5 years and no problems with it other than some temp probes went out of range, has ran for hundreds of hours and wish I had kept track of the lbs of pellets I have used

For the money you could get a Pit Boss on clearance at Walmart with a five year warranty, but if longevity isn't a concern Z Grills are decent cookers and a good value.

HI Guys Pit Boss has just come back into the UK and i was reading this thread with interest.

Is Pit Boss a good Brand, the Pit Boss UK range is a little limited.

Im really interested in getting a new BBQ smoker but just wanted some thoughts as you guys have had Pit Boss a lot longer than we have.

If any of you have a bit of time and can tell me what Pit Boss Smoker is the best i would really appreciate that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky