Pellet smoked jerk em’ jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jake0531

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
Mulvane, KS
First time trying to make jerky
I’m using GMG jerk emoji jerky recipe as a base.
I bought a 3lb eye of round roast, trimmed fat, sliced into roughly 1/4-1/2 inch thick slices, then sliced the long strips into smaller more jerky like length strips
The GMG recipe calls for salt, sugar, brown sugar, black pepper, bbq sauce. I added a little to their amounts for all those ingredients as the recipe was based off 2lbs of meat. I also added a little hot bbq rub, and crushed red pepper flakes. I like more heat than sweet with jerky.
I didn’t get any pictures during trimming and making the marinade, but it sure smelled jerky like. Put it in two-gallon zip lock bags and letting it marinate from last night (Friday) to Sunday about 1pm is when I plan to start.
ill be sure to take some picture of the preparation before going on to the pit. Does anyone recommend some jerky racks? I don’t have any and I’ve made deer jerky before and put it on just the grate but I think racks would give a better presentation. Thanks in advance

I use 2 Bradley racks I kept from my previous Bradley 4 rack electric smoker (I only let 2 racks go when I gave it to my buddy :emoji_wink: ) and I also have 2 small racks I bought for the 1/2 size serving trays - I've got all 4 of them loaded and in the Yoder right now. 3rd and final batch of Christmas jerky. I bet the mesh cooking mats would work as well. You have several options.

Reactions: jake0531
Smoker fired up at 185
I forgot while I was out earlier to pick up some more pellets, so all I have is apple to run right now, which isn’t ideal but it’ll work.
3A6BF8F3-0245-4032-8703-2D6286CA3AF4.jpeg
FA8083E9-0A60-46BA-9341-87582DCF0DD7.jpeg
2E5D95BF-798E-4779-90D6-5CA15C7DC201.jpeg

I realized now going through some forum threads that I sliced the jerky in the wrong direction. Wasn’t thinking about that when I cut it the other night. Hopefully doesn’t ruin it too much

Against the grain for a soft chew and with the grain for more chew. You will be fine. Looks good.

I try to slice no wider than 1/4". I then run each piece through the marinade to make sure each piece gets coverage. You may have a bit of work to get those thick pieces dry.

I am no expert but learned a lot of this site: https://www.jerkyholic.com/

Nice job so far

Reactions: huntem and jake0531
Against the grain for a soft chew and with the grain for more chew. You will be fine. Looks good.

I try to slice no wider than 1/4". I then run each piece through the marinade to make sure each piece gets coverage. You may have a bit of work to get those thick pieces dry.

I am no expert but learned a lot of this site: https://www.jerkyholic.com/

Nice job so far
Yeah I messed up and went with the grain. Most were about a 1/4 but there were definitely some wider. It turned out okay for the first time. It was more sweet than what I like. I’ll dial back the sugar and bbq sauce next time and add more pepper and red pepper flake for a more kicked up heat. I’ve always thought jerky tasted better the next day after it’s made so I’ll make my final call tomorrow.

I am glad it turned out okay. That's the best part about what we do in the smoke is that it really is hard to totally screw things up. When I do jerky I make up the marinade for the entire batch. When I take it out of the marinade I seperate it in half. Half I season hot and the other half not so hot and it seems to work for me. Check out the recipes at Jerkyholic. They are based on 1 pound batches and cover a lot of ground. I always use the pink salt in mine. I am paranoid about eating stuff after a few days. Generally the jerky does not last that long but it eases my mind. Gotta Go. M

I am glad it turned out okay. That's the best part about what we do in the smoke is that it really is hard to totally screw things up. When I do jerky I make up the marinade for the entire batch. When I take it out of the marinade I seperate it in half. Half I season hot and the other half not so hot and it seems to work for me. Check out the recipes at Jerkyholic. They are based on 1 pound batches and cover a lot of ground. I always use the pink salt in mine. I am paranoid about eating stuff after a few days. Generally the jerky does not last that long but it eases my mind. Gotta Go. M
Nice job and great pics!
Gettin' ready to smoke some jerky myself. (After the new year.) Got to find me a site to host my pics on, though...I will NOT spend another cent on Photo Bucket!
Once again, Nice Job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky