Pellet Question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bud J

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
I recently purchased a few 5lb pellets from Amazen:
Cherry - Apple - Hickory - Pitmaster.

The Pitmaster pellets look correct to you? As you can see in the comparison with Hickory, the Pitmasters (on the left) are very light grey and much smaller than the others...which are a shiny tan to brown color.
Also, there seems to be a lot of dust in this bag. I tried contacting Amazen a few times about a couple other questions and this one but they never get back to me.
Theses pellets look normal to you?

7911B5BD-58E1-4ECE-BC4D-7EF8455A8CDB.jpeg
41E08E3F-F757-40F0-B49B-E31D351EC693.jpeg

No I'd return those they are pulverized. Looks like may have had moisture then say outside and color faded

Keep that though and try it as dust. But I'd definitely request a new bag

Reactions: tallbm
I recently purchased a few 5lb pellets from Amazen:
Cherry - Apple - Hickory - Pitmaster.

The Pitmaster pellets look correct to you? As you can see in the comparison with Hickory, the Pitmasters (on the left) are very light grey and much smaller than the others...which are a shiny tan to brown color.
Also, there seems to be a lot of dust in this bag. I tried contacting Amazen a few times about a couple other questions and this one but they never get back to me.
Theses pellets look normal to you?

View attachment 461579View attachment 461580

Hi there and welcome!

There is really no way to tell what is going on by color. The size on the left seems to be a little bit larger in diameter but again not sure that indicates anything.

Now with the amount of dust in the bag and just eyeballing the pellets and their size, it may be a case where they have been absorbing some humidity/moisture and puffing up and or falling apart (hence the bag of dust).

No matter what has been going on with them they should produce the smoke results you want. If they have absorbed humidity/moisture then they may have trouble staying lit BUT that can be remedied by microwaving for 1 min 20 sec, PULLING THEM OUT OF THE MICROWAVE then stirring around and waiting 2 min. Next microwave for 1 min 20 sec again.
That processs should zap the moisture out that you cant detect and they should burn better. Also that process should keep you from causing the pellets to burn in your microwave as we all may have different powered microwaves :)

Finally, burn that dust. There are a number of posts and guys who intentionally wet their pellets so they puff up and fall apart, to then dry the mush real well and have.... wood dust :D

I hope this info helps!

Hi there and welcome!

No matter what has been going on with them they should produce the smoke results you want. If they have absorbed humidity/moisture then they may have trouble staying lit BUT that can be remedied by microwaving for 1 min 20 sec, PULLING THEM OUT OF THE MICROWAVE then stirring around and waiting 2 min. Next microwave for 1 min 20 sec again.
Finally, burn that dust. There are a number of posts and guys who intentionally wet their pellets so they puff up and fall apart, to then dry the mush real well and have.... wood dust :D

I hope this info helps!

Thanks...yes I always microwave my pellets for about 2’ and it works out well. These pellets have been burning decently as I have used them a few times. But they just seem to be getting worse when sitting around my house. The other bags are fine except this one. Doesn’t appear to be any holes in the bag.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky