Pellet Grill Reverese Sear

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
So I've owned this Yoder about a year & a half and I've done a dozen or so reverse sears (mostly steak) up to this point. I'm just trying to figure out what all will this pellet burning metal box will cook well and how to achieve that. My method for reverse searing has evolved and I'm quite sure it will continue - This is what I did last night....

Yoder set up for sear from previous night & cooking with a 100% Hickory pellet for this round.
Steaks Choice grade from Sam's on sale for $9.98 - fair price. For this cook today I'm only using a light dust of Sea Salt & Black Pepper. I've recently started using the grate over foil serving pan. The pan serves as a heat shield allowing me to manage the IT of the meat better & the grate keeps the meat in the line of smoke. It works well.
SeaSalt & Pepper.jpg

I start up the tank and set it on 150 - That is the lowest setting on the YS640. I just recently tried that setting for the first time and I like it. This puppy will churn out some really nice smoke on 150. Once the grill has fired up I have to give it a little time to get going and cool back down. I assist with this process a little :)
Smoked the steaks for about 1 1/2 hours on 150 (flipped them after about 45 minutes) IT anywhere from 89 to 100 deg.
150 smoke.JPG

Pulled them and cranked up to 600 (highest setting) and again I assist a little by feeding some pellets in manually.

Once we've got everything hot and flames belching through the Grill Grates I put the ribeyes on using a stop watch I give each side a total of 2 minutes (1 minute then turn 90 degrees.)
Searing Ribeyes.JPG

IT was anywhere from 120 to 130. That photo of the bite on the fork was the 5th bite (the 1st 4 bites were eaten by wife and myself.) The steaks were good but the flavor was really nice. That smoke process really makes it something special. Nothing wrong with cooking a steak on a grill but the smoky aroma and flavor that I'm getting from this process is nice.
Rare - Med Rare.JPG

Please feel free to add your own photos, experiences, tips & tricks from your pellet grills to this thread. I'd love to see how others are doing this on other Yoder's as well as ALL the other pellet grills are doing this. We will only get better by sharing our "secrets". Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I like doing steaks on my PB but when I have time the charcoal grill with some shag bark is my favorite method , your look great

Nice lookin steak!
My neighbor has 2 YS-640’s and I’ve assisted him with several large cooks. We like doing 6 Tri Tip at a time, usually 3 different “flavors”... and we use a similar method to what you described where we run them under 200* for about 1.5hrs and then we pull them off and hold them in a foil pan placed into a empty ice chest while we crank the heat all the way up to max and let it go for about 15 minuets before tossing the Tri Tips back on for their reverse sear. Works great! Those Yoders definitely put out some delicious food.
Happy Smoking!

Attachments

• 9F8A6C5F-851F-452C-93AE-F4483878C12F.jpeg
    9F8A6C5F-851F-452C-93AE-F4483878C12F.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 13
So I've owned this Yoder about a year & a half and I've done a dozen or so reverse sears (mostly steak) up to this point. I'm just trying to figure out what all will this pellet burning metal box will cook well and how to achieve that. My method for reverse searing has evolved and I'm quite sure it will continue - This is what I did last night....

Yoder set up for sear from previous night & cooking with a 100% Hickory pellet for this round.
Steaks Choice grade from Sam's on sale for $9.98 - fair price. For this cook today I'm only using a light dust of Sea Salt & Black Pepper. I've recently started using the grate over foil serving pan. The pan serves as a heat shield allowing me to manage the IT of the meat better & the grate keeps the meat in the line of smoke. It works well.
View attachment 400973
I start up the tank and set it on 150 - That is the lowest setting on the YS640. I just recently tried that setting for the first time and I like it. This puppy will churn out some really nice smoke on 150. Once the grill has fired up I have to give it a little time to get going and cool back down. I assist with this process a little :)
Smoked the steaks for about 1 1/2 hours on 150 (flipped them after about 45 minutes) IT anywhere from 89 to 100 deg.
View attachment 400974
Pulled them and cranked up to 600 (highest setting) and again I assist a little by feeding some pellets in manually.

Once we've got everything hot and flames belching through the Grill Grates I put the ribeyes on using a stop watch I give each side a total of 2 minutes (1 minute then turn 90 degrees.)
View attachment 400975
IT was anywhere from 120 to 130. That photo of the bit on the fork was the 5th bite (the 1st 4 bits were eaten by wife and myself.) The steaks were good but the flavor was really nice. That smoke process really makes it something special. Nothing wrong with cooking a steak on a grill but the smoky aroma and flavor that I'm getting from this process is nice.
View attachment 400976
Please feel free to add your own photos, experiences, tips & tricks from your pellet grills to this thread. I'd love to see how others are doing this on other Yoder's as well as ALL the other pellet grills are doing this. We will only get better by sharing our "secrets". Thanks for looking.

WOW....That looks like it came straight from the steak house!
Great Job!.

I have a REC TEC BULL and here is what I do....

I season the Ribeye 32 oz Bonless....

IMG_2324.jpg
IMG_2324.jpg

I set the pit to the "LOW" setting which is the 170 deg range. I put a 32 oz Boneless Ribeye on the pit and let the internal come up to 130 deg.
I take it off and crank the pit to its "MAX" setting.
When its up to temp I do the 2min turn 2min flip 2 min turn2 min off ....Top with some garlic compound butter and well here it is!

IMG_2327.jpg

And here is the cut...Perfect Medium Rare

IMG_2330.jpg

Thank you!

Need to try the lowest setting on mine. I like the idea of sitting in the smoke longer.
Yeah I'm still learning things about this tank just about every time I cook on it. I can get decent smoke from around 230 and below but after 2 times running at 150 that is defiantly the "Smoke" zone on this cooker. No AMPS needed! Amazing what a guy can learn after burning about 800 lbs of pellets over the last year. Great pics from others and keep the tips & tricks coming. Love seeing how others are searing with their pellet grills.

Wow guys both those steaks look delicious! Well done!

I have come to love the reverse sear for steak and Tri Tips.

It looks to me like you're using Grill Grates too which is important to mention. I use them for searing steaks in my Grilla Silverbac and they work well. I put the steaks right on the grill grate though.
I do actually put the meat on the grill grates. I only use the pan and grate for the 1st stage (smoke). I scower the internet looking for ideas and I think next round I'm gonna flip the grill grate over and cook on the bottom/flat part of the grate. This will become a griddle and in turn will sear the entire side that it touching it vs. just the raised grill area hence the "grill marks". Should get more of the outer surface seared/blackened. We shall see.........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky