Pellet Grill Pit Bosd

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

acd4476

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Metro Detroit, MI
Is it common to have this much smoke from grease drip off at 350? If I drop to 300 I have nearly nothing like this. This is two chickens. Maverick probe indicates temp is 380

Attachments

• 20191020_154454.jpg
    20191020_154454.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 37
This is only the second run on this thing but I've used a weber kettle and never had it produce like this with whole chickens and that's with grease dropping right on the flame.

my pitboss will smoke like that on high temps and greasy foods, did you try covering the metal under the grates with tinfoil, that may or may not help but it makes cleaning easier.

Reactions: RCAlan and acd4476
yep normal, depending on how much fat you can get a grease fire so keep a eye on it

Reactions: acd4476
Ok thanks! I just turned the temp down to 300. Next time .maybe I'll put a foil pan uderneath. Anyone use the amnps in there pit boss? I have the maze one

I use a tube some times, I microwave the pellets for 2-4 minutes before I light them so they stay burning. I have read that the tray dosent work very well on them. Also have trouble keeping them lit if not microwaved or dried in some fashion

Maybe check the level of the smoker and see if the grease isn't flowing out fast enough, though the hot spot above the burner will probably always scorch some grease at those temps.

Maybe check the level of the smoker and see if the grease isn't flowing out fast enough, though the hot spot above the burner will probably always scorch some grease at those temps.
Thank you for suggesting this. I typically leave this on the drive but the kids were out playing and in didn't want them to touch it and get burned. I'll have to be more aware next time

Ok great I'll have to pick one up. You set it on the grates or under the heat plate?
I just set it on the grate, I did see online where people do have luck putting the amnps tray under the heat plates, if you have the tray already and don't mind removing the plates give it a shot.

Last edited:
I try to set it at a upward angle if possible to get the longest burn time,on short cooks or when I want more smoke I lay it flat, it will burn quicker

I just set it on the grate, I did see online where people do have luck putting the amnps tray under the heat plates, if you have the tray already and don't mind removing the plates give it a shot.
Finally tried the tray under the heat plates and it worked better then it ever has. Thanks for the tip!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky