Pellet Grill in the Rain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmardock

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Orangevale, CA
Anyone know if it's ok to use a pellet grill in the rain? I'm doing a turkey on thanksgiving and there's rain in the forecast.

i really don't know never tried it, but electronics and water don't mix well. but maybe there sealed up good, maybe some of the pro's will chime in

I wouldn't. The electronics are not sealed and you will be plugged in which is not a good thing. Can you take it in the garage and leave the door open?

I do it all the time on my Memphis - all of the electronics are well protected from the elements. Make sure you're plugged into a GFCI outlet. Of course, your grill could be different so you might want to check with the mfg.

And of course remember to keep your pellets dry. I point my exhaust openings away from the wind too

wow I hope pellet grills aren't just fair weather machines. I designed the electronics on my fridge smoker (220V) to take the rains in the Northwest. We should have 1/2 of rain on Monday when I smoke about 22 pound of pork cushions.

I have seen several posts of guys cooking in the rain with a pellet grill. I would too. just make sure you electrical connections are dry. My rec tec has all the boards and connectors covered. I am definitely smokin Thursday and the forecast calls for snow/rain.

Reactions: Steff3
Just make sure the electronics stay dry. And as mentioned several times GFI connections for sure.
If it's raining a lot it could cool down the body and make keeping temps a challenge.

Do you need to be concerned about the moisture and the pellets clumping together? It might make sense to add dry pellets periodically to avoid clogging the hopper/feeder.

I never have been concerned about this. the hopper is covered and they sit out there in the hopper all winter through rain and snow without issue.

I’d invest in one of those pop up tents. I have a 10x10 and thing pays for it self pretty quick if you’re like me and use it when working on anything outside during the summer sun or grilling with pellet grill

Reactions: Steff3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky