Pecan Honey Barbecued Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Sometimes you just need a smokey, gooey barbecued chicken. This was one of those times.

Normally, I use a spicy rub on my chicken but She Who Must Be Obeyed likes the Cabela's Open Season Pecan Honey Seasoning I got for Christmas. What can I say, she must be obeyed.

I took a 3 pound chicken and spatchcocked it. No, that isn’t some form of poultry abuse. It is a method of preparing a whole chicken so it lays flat

You cut out the spine with poultry shears. Then you cut around the centre breast bone and pull it out. Voila! Your chicken lies flat.

I carefully worked my fingers under the skin on the breast of the bird. I rubbed a generous portion of  Cabela's Open Season Pecan Honey Seasoning  on both sides and under the breast skin.

Then I put it in my Bradley smoker over pecan (surprise) smoke set as high at will go. In the dead of winter, that is only about 250 F. That is enough to cook the chicken but not enough to crisp the skin. So I only cooked it to an internal temperature of 150 F so I could finish it on my Weber Barbecue to crisp the skin.

After about 2 hours it was up to an internal temperature of 150 F. I pulled the chicken and put it, skin side down, on the barbecue at medium low.

Normally, I would just brush it with my homemade barbecue sauce (you can use your favourite store bought if you want). But as I had used a sweet rub, I added a little hot cajun spice mix to the sauce. If you don’t like heat, don’t bother.

Watch the chicken carefully. It will be juicy and can easily flare up. If it does, move the chicken immediately to another area of the grill. After 10 to 15 minutes, the skin should be crispy and browned. Turn the chicken over and brush the skin side with barbecue sauce. Cook until the internal temperature in the breast is 170 F and the thigh is 165 F.

Cut the chicken up by cutting the drumsticks off, cutting the wings off, cutting the thighs off, splitting the breast into halves and cutting the halves into quarters.

We served this with french bread and salad.

The Verdict

I was concerned about using the sweet seasonings for a rub. However, She Who Must Be Obeyed was right (I hate it when that happens). The sweet nutty taste was great with the sweet/spicy barbecue sauce. I will make this again but I will claim it was my idea.

Disco

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtsailor2003
Awesome as usual . I only cook spatched chicks now.

Great job Disco .:sausage:

Last edited:

Very nice Disco!  That's some tasty looking chicken.  

Red
Thanks, Red.

Sadly it is my wife's idea to do it this way. I will never admit it though.
Awesome as usual . I only cook spatched chicks now.

Great job Disco .
sausage.gif
Me too on the spatchcocked. It is just so much easier.

Disco

Your chicken is looking mighty good!
Thanks, Todd. I have to be hardy to smoke around here. It is currently minus 22 with a foot and a half of snow on the ground. It is worth it though.

Disco

Nice looking Chicken there , Disco.
drool.gif
  Great job
icon14.gif
 . You should do more of her biding .
ROTF.gif
Thanks oldschool. If there is anything I have learned from almost 39 years of marriage is to do what I am told.

Disco

That sure looks good dude
drool.gif
.  I spatch chickens or shove a beer can up their arse.  Latley though with leg quarters very cheap I been doing those.  Got a sack seasoned up and since it's cool out, I got em sitting in a dish pan in the pit.  using it like a cooler.  No room in da fridge.
biggrin.gif
  I also got a gallon of homemade wine out there and pending on if I get into it too early on not pics of tomorrows adventure may apear.  But its a wonderful jug of mixed berry hooch that I already sampled so no promices.

That sure looks good dude
drool.gif
.  I spatch chickens or shove a beer can up their arse.  Latley though with leg quarters very cheap I been doing those.  Got a sack seasoned up and since it's cool out, I got em sitting in a dish pan in the pit.  using it like a cooler.  No room in da fridge.
biggrin.gif
  I also got a gallon of homemade wine out there and pending on if I get into it too early on not pics of tomorrows adventure may apear.  But its a wonderful jug of mixed berry hooch that I already sampled so no promices.
Thanks, Cappy.

I love homemade wine and do a lot myself. It's the only way I can afford to drink as much as I want. Also, She Who Must Be Obeyed is way more cooperative after a couple of sips.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky