Peameal Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Robert H

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
Hi All
Made some peameal bacon this week. This is not a strictly Canadian thing but I think originated in the Toronto area and is very common in Ontario. So, I divided a whole loin into thirds and it spent 2 weeks in Pops Brine with a couple cups of pickling spices added. It is called peameal, but mostly these days, cornmeal is used. Aside from being in the brine bucket, they were also injected with the brine. After patting dry, just roll the meat around in the cornmeal until it wont collect any more and it's done. I fried some up for a breakfast and it was fantastic, The cornmeal takes on a nice crisp on the edges and the meat has that great salty sweet taste from the brine. I have also in the past, cut thick and grilled it and that is a nice treat also.
Thanks for looking.
20210408_112144.jpg
20210408_110743.jpg
20210407_215517.jpg
20210407_214559.jpg

Thanks, it does taste great, but the pickling spice is in order. It was bought in bulk and has a lot of what would be in the pickling brine already mixed in. Cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon. A lot of commercially produced peameal bacon is oversalted and overpumped. I am very happy with the result for first time.

Hi All
Made some peameal bacon this week. This is not a strictly Canadian thing but I think originated in the Toronto area and is very common in Ontario. So, I divided a whole loin into thirds and it spent 2 weeks in Pops Brine with a couple cups of pickling spices added. It is called peameal, but mostly these days, cornmeal is used. Aside from being in the brine bucket, they were also injected with the brine. After patting dry, just roll the meat around in the cornmeal until it wont collect any more and it's done. I fried some up for a breakfast and it was fantastic, The cornmeal takes on a nice crisp on the edges and the meat has that great salty sweet taste from the brine. I have also in the past, cut thick and grilled it and that is a nice treat also.
Thanks for looking.View attachment 492034View attachment 492035View attachment 492036View attachment 492037
Looking good Robert, I just put a7 1/2 lb loin in the fridge this morning, however I did a dry rub using a Bradley demerara cure. I cut it in half and will do one as an irish bacon and the other like a peameal

Looks great. I don’t hardly brine anymore, I dry rub, but when I brine I add the pickling spice. I like like it. Do the same with pastrami too.

I have done pastrami the same way also. I really like the flavour it adds , but I may start mixing up my own. There is a lot of cinnamon in the stuff I buy bulk. I like it but, but would like to dial it down a bit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky