Peameal Bacon w/ some Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtworldmike

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
roaming shores, ohio
Well I finally got my hands on some pink salt for the cure and used the brine  recipe I got from Cowgirl.

For this run I used 1/2 of a 9 lb. pork loin I got on sale at Sam's a while back. Soaked in the brine for 7 days. I did a fry test and it was a little salty so I soaked the cured loin for 2 hrs in fresh water then dried it off and rolled it in yellow corn meal. 

I must have dried the loin off a little too much because I didn't get much corn meal to stick on it. After I took the pic of the loin I had the bright idea to use a spray bottle and spray some water on it and give it another roll in the corn meal. It worked pretty good and I got a good thick coating of corn meal on it.

I haven't been to Canada in about 15 years, so I can't really remember how peameal bacon is suppose to taste. But this stuff turned out pretty darn tasty !!. Also, it didn't seem to get as red colored as I remember the pealmeal bacon in Canada to be. Maybe I need to let in cure longer????

Thanks to Cowgirl and AK1 for their help.

First roll in the corn meal. Not much stuck.

3aafc46f_IMG_0390.jpg

Froze a little and sliced.

acc8ad26_IMG_0392.jpg

All bagged up.  No need for vacuum bags, This stuff won't last long.

8e41f2c3_IMG_0395.jpg

Couple fried slices for a sammie.

51f66f67_IMG_0396.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky